Chapter Eight

"You've got them, right?"

"Of course."

"Good."

The orange moonlight glimmered down against the tin on hairspray's can. The liquids inside her rattled a bit. A mucky black ooze was all over the ground. It wasn't fun to step in.

"Have you earned their trust yet?"

"One of them. Paintbrush."

"The tall one? Perfect. Everything is going as planned."

Hairspray looked to the side and tapped her foot impatiently.

"So, you're going to pay me now, right? I didn't do all of this for nothing."

"I'll pay you, but I will have to do it in the soul room. Your little "friends" are going to wonder where you ran off to."

Hairspray let out a little "Tch" and then turned around.

"This better not be a scam or else I'm out of this little scheme of yours. That includes me spilling all of my knowledge to them."

The object in the dark grinned and held a finger over their mouth. "Shsh. We wouldn't want to do that now would we? You did lend me your brother's life when agreeing to this."

Hairspray paused, and shut her eyes in regret.

"How could I forget...?" Hairspray began to shiver as the cold air surrounded her.

The object bursted into a laughing fit. "It's so cute when you realize how pathetic and powerless you actually are!" They kept laughing; a cold and nasty laugh it was. "Keep your mouth shut, stick with your task, and you'll be rewarded your money and your wimpy brother's safety back! Simple as that."

Hairspray only stood there with her eyes closed and her fists clenched. She was shaking from the wind grazing her. How dare they say that about her brother!

"Run along now, your friends are waiting."

"Woah woah, easy there Lightbulb. You're gonna make a mess!"

Everyone in the house was involved in making a home-made pizza, Lightbulb was in charge of making sure the dough wasn't sticky. "Don't worry Painty! I've made pizza before!" Lightbulb was playing around with the fluffy dough.

"You made a cookie dessert, not a pizza." Paintbrush crossed their arms, smiling at Lightbulb. She was acting like a kid on Christmas, who wouldn't smile?

"Oh pff, Pizza, Cookie, what's the difference, right?" Lightbulb kept folding and stretching the dough. "Yeah." Paintbrush leaned back against the counter and looked over at Marshmallow. She was setting up the table. "You need help?"

Marshmallow fiddled around with a fork. "N-nope I'm good!" She still couldn't get her mind off the candle.

"Suit yourself." Paintbrush walked into the dusty old living room. Spoon was on the couch. He had his hands crossed and his eyes lidded, like he was thinking deeply about something. "Are you alright Spoon?"

Spoon snapped out of his thinking state, "Oh! Paintbrush, yeah, I'm fine!" Spoon waved his arms awkwardly. Paintbrush walked over and sat on a couch across from him. "You looked like you were thinking about something..."

Spoon shook a little, "Yeah, just thinking about the past. It scares me a little. It's all cool though!" Spoon ran his hands up and down his arms.

"You can talk to me about it, if it will make you feel any better." Paintbrush looked Spoon in the eyes.