Blood Moon Chapter 5

Chapter 5-

When Angeleyes woke, he could tell he was lying flat on his back on some kind of hospital bed. Immediately he struggled against restraints, his natural instincts driving him to get from being pinned helplessly down.

"Keep trying, you'll never get out," a woman laughed.

He turned his head towards her and caught a whiff of her scent. Simultaneously his nose wrinkled in disgust and he gagged. A hunter's scent was so disgusting and so strong that he wondered how she had managed to hide it from him. Her strawberry blond hair was tied into the familiar tight bun hunters loved to wear and her shimmering green eyes were hardened, so different from the playful eyes he had seen before. It seemed she had wiped all of the makeup off of her face, yet, still, he had to admit that she was beautiful with that flawlessly tanned skin.

"Who are you?" he muttered.

"Ha, your worst nightmare." she hissed mirthlessly.

Before he could say much more, she knocked him out and he was subjected to darkness. He didn't wake up again until a couple hours later in the back of a minivan. Sitting up quickly, he checked out the window, but all he saw was unfamiliar forest and vast, empty lands. Silently he began to sob, shaking with the thought that he was finally going to die...

When they finally reached their destination, Angeleyes had fallen asleep. Tessa woke him up and they led him into the basement of an abandoned hut in the middle of nowhere. He could hardly see, even his vampiric enhanced eyes couldn't focus in the dank blackness of that room. When Tessa clicked on a light bulb overhead, he suddenly didn't want to see, suddenly didn't want to know. He screamed as he was thrust into a pile of rotting vampire corpses. Their flesh was hanging off their cheeks, mouths still frozen in a hissing final goodbye.

But it wasn't the corpses that terrified him; he had prowled a graveyard before. It was the live occupants on the other side of the room whose scents were revolting and overpowering. It was a fleet of hunters and werewolves who salivated for his perdition. Slowly Angeleyes got up, determined to fight like a man until the end and when they rushed him, he showed no fear, even with his hands tied behind his back...

Leaf could feel it, she was getting closer. She had followed a hunter's scent to an abandoned medical building. Inside she found a bed, medical utensils, and plenty of gauze. But her eye fell on one thing, a drop of blood underneath the bed. She picked it up with her finger, then smelled it, even licked it.

"Vampire's blood," she said shivering.

She remembered her former coworker, who had been stolen in the night by a greedy set of fingers, lusting the life of another. Despite this thought, she grimly continued, searching for anything else that might help her. She knew he was there, she just didn't know where he had gone. Following her nose she walked out of the building then turned to the right where the road led far towards the East.

She huffed angrily. How had she become this involved? Why did she feel so darn guilty about what she had said to Ellyn? Every minute she wished that she could take back what she had said because she knew he was right. He was one of her best friends, even though he was a prisoner. Suddenly she missed him, but it only made her more determined to find his vampire friend.

Smiling, she got in her car and sped off towards the East with windows down and nose gulping down the hunter-scented air.