~Chapter One~

~Evan's POV~

I'm gonna do this. I can do it. Come on Hansen you can do this.

Ok I totally can't do it.

I am here, in front of the Kleinman's front door debating about should I ring the doorbell or not. It's been like... 30 minutes? This is normal to be in front of someone door wondering if we should open it for 30 minutes, right? RIGHT??

I hear a faint voice behind the door. Oh my god it's him. I can't do it. I CAN'T DO IT!!!

I'm panicking as I hear footsteps coming towards the front door. I can't even react because the door opens.

When he opened the door he already looked like he was in a really bad mood, but now that he saw me his expression seems even more desperate.

He groans and rolls his eyes.

"Maybe I'm not going outside today." He says and starts closing the door. "Nononononono! P-please I-I wanted to t-talk to y-you!" I say nervously trying to keep the door open.

Word key: trying. And I miserably fail. As always.

I head back to home sighing. It's not the first time I try to apologize to him. But it's the first time he sees me. The others times I've just got back home without even knocking at his door or ringing the doorbell. Well once I rang the doorbell but then I ran away like the coward I am...

Jared is the only one I didn't apologize to. The Murphys forgave me. Well... Yes they forgave me but Zoe broke up with me. I guess I deserve it. I started talking to Alana again but Jared... I can't talk to him.

Maybe he's scaring me. Jared can be scary sometimes...

"Hi honey how it went this time?" Mom asks me as I entered in the house. I sigh. "W-we'll this time h-he saw m-me." I say sitting on the couch.

"Awesome! So you talked to each other?" She says happily. She's going to be so disappointed... "N-not really... A-actually he just s-saw me and th-then he frowned a-and he c-closed the door..." I say feeling ashamed. Why couldn't I be normal. Why couldn't I talk without stuttering and apologize to my friend. Well family friend. Not really friend.

"Oh sweetie I'm so sorry..." She makes her way to me and hugs me. "Maybe he's still hurt but don't worry thing are getting better soon I promise ok?" I nod and go to my room up stairs.

I lay down on my bed and grab my phone. To my surprise someone sent me a text. Three texts actually. I'm not used to receive texts. Who would talk to the poor stuttering Evan Hansen who tried to- I mean fell out of a tree?

Alana: Soooooo how was it this time?

Alana: Ok no need to tell me Jared just called me. I'm sorry Evan I'm trying to make him listen to you but you know him.

Alana: You know what, call me

I'm definitely not in the mood but maybe it could help to talk to someone. I call her and she picks up almost immediately.

"Hi Evan!" She says. "H-hi" I respond. "S-so he t-told you ab-bout today's a-attempt?" I say already knowing the answer. I'm so stupid.

I hear her sigh. "Yeah he told me... I'll try to make him listen to you again but for the moment it's really hard. I'm sorry Evan." She says sounding guilty.

"Y-you don't have t-to be s-sorry. It's n-not your f-fault at a-all." I mean, it isn't her fault at all. "Well I'm still sorry. I gotta go but I see you Monday at school okay?"

"O-okay." I answered. She hangs up. How to start an horrible Saturday in a few lessons by Evan Hansen:

First step, try to apologize to your ex-friend and fail miserably.