Chapter Four - 'Good Morning Sunshine'✨

Amanda

Warmth enveloped me as I opened my eyes, sunlight seeping it's way in. Grace's chocolate brown hair shining in the early morning sunlight. Shadows were visible along her bony cheekbones, illuminating her other features. Frown freckles dotted onto Grace's nose and cheeks, the light brown specs evidently darker against her pale skin.

Subconsciously, Grace pulled herself closer to me. Her pale arms covered by her long sleeve shirt wrapped around my torso, warming me more. Closing my blue eyes again, not quite ready to face the day quite yet.

Stirring to the left caused me to open my eyes again. My gaze was met by Grace's as she smiled very weakly at me.

"Good morning sunshine," I said as she put her forehead her face into the crook of my neck.

"Good morning" the young girl whispered, her breath going across my throat. I gently ran my fingers through her long chocolate brown hair and a small purr escaped her lips.

"Ready to face the day?" Grace asked, resting herself up onto her elbow.

Was I? Yes. I had to be. For her.

"Yes," I began. "But first, coffee."

Grace giggled at her.

"Would you like some sweetie?"I asked.

Grace laughed.

"If not I'll gladly get a cup of joe, by any chance do you have any tea?" She asked.

"Well," I began. "You are very welcome to come with me to look."

Grace cane along to the kitchen, slightly a bounce brought to her step.

"You seem..... happier baby, what's with that?"

She moved her head to the side, looking at Amanda. "I don't know," Grace began. "I just..... I guess I know you guys will catch him."

Nodding my head, I pulled a box of passion fruit and hibiscus tea out of the cabinet. "We will."

Grace

Amanda began preparing the tea and coffee as I walked back to the living room and sat on the couch, pulling last nights fluffy blanket over my body. This was...... a lot to take in, to say the least.

"May I?" Amanda asked, pointing the the empty cream colour cushion beside me.

Nodding my head, I moved closer to Amanda hugging her and giving her some of the blanket. Taking it, the blond detective placed some of the fluffy blanket over herself too. The grey material of her shirt, caressing my cheek as I had pressed my face to her shoulder. A few of her hairs lightly had brushed against my skin when Amanda turned and smiled at me.

We had talked for a couple of minutes before Amanda went to check on both the drinks. Following behind her into the kitchen, watching her pour the liquids into mugs.

I was handed a cream color mug with a cactus print. Steam was dancing away from the mug, wistfully moving its way through the early morning air. The warm liquid dropped down from my lip onto my leg as I was drinking the tea. Amanda placed her hand under the cup raising her eyebrows at me.

"Careful, darling."She began."We can't have you burning yourself now can we?"

I giggled. "Sorry"

Amanda smiled at me.

"I'm going to use the bathroom quickly, okay?" I asked her. Amanda nodded and I then headed down into the hall. Closing the door, I lifted up my sleeves and shorts and I looked at my cuts and tears were brought into my eyes but not daring to fall.

After emerging from the bathroom, Amanda turned to look at me while holding a thin, rectangular, baby pink box. A 'get well soon' balloon was tied to it, bobbing in the air.

"Hey baby, this was at the door. It is addressed to you which is weird - " Amanda began.

"Since the only ones who knew I live here are the people at the precinct," I finished.

"Wanna make a bet?" Amanda smirked. Do you think it was Olivia or Elliot?"

I was contemplating the question. I was pretty sure that if it was them, it would be both of them not just one.

"I'm going to bet that it was both of them," I laughed.

Amanda handed me the box. I quickly opened it, seeing something that I never, ever wanted to see ever again.