Ch.41: A New Purpose

The next morning, after a good night's sleep, Thereanbold insisted on Pinti and Daero having a bite to eat before they left. The moment they all took a seat at the table, plates of food and baskets of bread set themselves down and utensils rippled into existence in the exact places they were needed.

"Call me Lazyrrin for using magick for normal things. Now eat, eat, eat," he said, and plates hovered in front of her, filling themselves up with bread of all kinds. As a treat to her, he even had some raw mouse and squirrel ready fresh. How he got it, Pinti didn't care as she breathed in the scent, her mouthwatering.

"Might be a surprise, but I retain love for fresh kill," Daero said and took the fattest mouse that she was eyeing. Pinti pursed her lips and he laughed, putting it on her plate.

"Why, thank you," she said with a smirk and ate half, giving the rest to him. Daero finished it up in one bite and tapped the carcass on his left shoulder—the Kathula way of saying it was a good meal.

"Horrenderriblous! Ooh!" Thereanbold complained. "I can't take the smell of raw food, so I have these." He brandished a clip and pinched his nose with it. When he spoke, his nasally voice was even more nasally.

"Really, Thereanbold?" Daero grimaced. "Is that even necessary?"

Thereanbold ignored him. "Now, I have some cold perilla tea, would you like that?" he said with a small smile.

The nasally voice tickled her and Pinti sniggered behind her paw.

"What? What's funny?" Thereanbold's mustache flapped when he breathed.

"Are you really being serious?" She smirked. Thereanbold winked at her and took another clip out. He released the first one and now put a clip on each nostril.

"Oh yes," He grinned with his mustache, "very much so. Ouch." He scrunched up his face. The laughter bubbled up her throat and Pinti couldn't take it anymore. She burst out laughing alongside Daero until her stomach hurt.

"Oh, laugh all you want," Thereanbold said between snickers. "I'm very serious right now." He winked. "Ouch. Would you two care to take them off for your old Thereanbold here?"

"Yuck! You won't make us touch your nostrils!" Daero grimaced. He muttered a spell and the clips removed themselves and flew away to the trash.

"Aw, the fun's over." Thereanbold sulked.

Lalina pushed up her glasses. "Update!" she sang. "Sources I trust tell me the Kathula Prince Xohr died after the scepter sweptered it's magick across the world." She grinned. "Heehee, rhyme. And most Rauvuren have escaped, but one close confidant of Xohr was captured."

"Emphrelius den, right?" Daero asked and Lalina nodded. "Hope he serves time well in jail," he growled. "He tampered with my magick!"

"Also, some Edgling carcasses were found and including some Sorcerers, Humans, and some Halfhuman subspecies for various reasons. Those who would tamper with peace, the purely evil, have died, so they say. Conveniently, some police cases in the Second Ring were subsequently solved because of the scepter. The High Collection will be counting bodies as a hobby now."

Thereanbold grimaced, leaning back in his chair. "Horrenderriblous! Less gruesome news, I hear they're going to have a change in representatives, trying to revive the old High Collection made up of the five races and not just inkin' stickin' Humans. That includes," He winked at Pinti, "Kathula."

Kathula as a member of the High Collection had not been possible for decades, maybe more. But who would listen to a 'kitty' after all this time?

"Who knows how the world will change. It's exciting," Thereanbold said with a grin. "Now, who wants some cherry beer?"