Chapter lV

Daermaethor

After Narylfiel had extinguished the fire, they were all silent. They had just stared at the pile of burnt wood and ash in front of them. Alerthla had needed some time alone, so she ran off into the woods.
"I need a moment.. this is unbelievable." She stated as she got back onto her horse and rode off slowly. Her head hung from her neck.

How Daermathor would love to embrace her to relieve her of this pain.

Daermaethor couldn't resist the urge to follow her for he had never gotten a chance to have a private moment with her. He decided to take this opportunity, even though he was supposed to help his sister. Just for once he selfishly thought about himself. Without looking back, he ran after Alerthla before he could stop himself.

Walking down the path with his hands by his sides, he tried to look for her. Ah Elbereth, how he wanted to hold her in his arms. Longing to be with her. She was a very eloquent, vivid and natural person. Way different from his sister. Ugh, not that he liked his sister! Alerathla was still a beautiful elfing, with grace and kindness. A heart full of roses but also skilled and intelligent.

As for his sister he could not say. After her return from her prison, he thought she has returned to her old self for a while. But lately she'd changed. She was not the beautiful, happy sister she once was.

Narylfiel was so independent. Why wouldn't she let him help her? Why wouldn't she let him be the brother he wanted to be? That had him worrying. He hadn't seen her sleep for more than a few of hours. Her eyes were deep and shallow. Uncommon for an elf. They are usually bright and sweet, but Narylfiel's were filled with darkness, obscuring the real her.

With a sigh, he realised how tired he was. He didn't know what to do. He hummed to take his mind off Naryl as he approached the bridge over the river. He once more began to think about Alerathla and her stunning golden hair. It was a rich color that suited her frame very well. Her ember green eyes had specks of gold. Just everything about her was radiant. If only he knew enough about how he felt towards her, he would have mustered the courage to tell her but he can't. Not now. Not with the way the land has come. Middle Earth would slowly turn into chaos soon. If his sisters warnings were right.

As he kept walking, his eyes searched for the ravishing blonde maiden. He kept taking more steps whilst trying to create a path that would draw him closer to her. He prayed that he would be right. Alas, there down by the edge of a farm he saw Alerathla cradling a bundle of some sort in her hands. He walked up behind her but she had already seen him and held a concerning yet forlorn smile. Instantly becoming worried, he asked: "What's the matter, Alera?"

She wiped her eyes. "I found her here by the river," she said and revealed the baby. "She was left in a casket without food or any warmth." His jaw tightened at the news that she gave him. A baby? Who would leave it out here? He stood in front of her with the baby in the middle.

Staring at the baby as she slept, a small smile wanted to make its way onto his face. She looked so peaceful.

He stared at the young infant in their arms. He watched her sleep, breathing in from the mouth and out through the nose. Smiling softly he stroked the baby's head. He bent and kissed her delicate forehead.

With a sigh, he looked at Alerathla who's eyes were welling up with tears. Just looking at the baby bothered her. He could see it in her eyes.

But she was so beautiful when she cried...

He approached her carefully and used his free arm, lifting her chin to look at him. She looked at him nervously for a few seconds.

"What is bothering you, my lady?" he asked softly. Eyes beginning to water again, she looked down, placing her hand on her stomach protectively. She held onto it tightly and took a deep breath,"When I was young," she paused to catch her breath. Then she tried again: "When I was young I fell in love with a guard. It's a strange thing, love. I later learned that"—and then she took in a deep breath—"I was to carry his child."

Daermaethor nodded, silently encouraging her to continue. His heart slowly began to be crushed. Of course she would have been in love before. They are elves. Looking at the child, her face twisted in grief. "I had lost my child." He was almost taken aback slightly. He hadn't known this. He felt so sorry for her. "I could not bear the pain of losing an unborn child," she added, "so I left for Lothlórien to visit my family."

She gazed at the child for one moment before looking away. Wiping her tears and trying to calm herself, she didn't dare look at Daer. He felt somewhat crushed. She had been in love once. Why would she fall in love again? Especially to her traveling companion.

He wanted to wrap his arms around her but he didn't want to make the young infant (or her) feel uncomfortable. He sighed and gently kissed her forehead "You'll be all right Alera," he smiled. "Your secret is safe with me." She looked at him gratefully. Wiping her tears away, she gave a sweet smile.

"You've always been so kind to me, Daermaethor," said she. "Your sister should appreciate having you in her life. I bet you any girl would be swooning to have you," she joked, giving him a soft grin. He gave a small chuckle, not wanting to disturb the child. If only she knew that he was the one swooning over her. His breath was always taken away by her.

"Well if given the chance milady.. I'd like nothing more than for you to be the one." He added softly. Her cheeks turned a little red and smiled. But she changed the subject as she took a step forward to walk back towards everyone.

"Speaking of your sister, why is she suddenly disappearing?" she asked curiously as their feet began to take them back to their house (or what was left of it). He had taken the infant from her arms and carried her back. Walking at slow pace, Daermaethor rocked the baby softly. With a shrug, he shook his head. What should he say? He knew as much as she did.

"I do not know," he looked down at the infant. "Narylfiel doesn't talk to me anymore. She is so reserved ... and it bothers me." Alerathla looked up at him, slightly worried.

"She's always pushing me away ever since we finished that job for that small village," he continued. "I do not know what's wrong. I just wish she would talk to me. I want to help her. I don't want to lose her again.. She's the only link to my family and my bloodline left to guide our scattered and frightened people."

"We all do, Daermaethor," Alerathla said sadly, "but she is stubborn and..." She took a deep breath. "I know she's had a rough life, but she must not dwell in the past. She will only become harder on herself. She needs to open her mind and breathe the fresh air. We all fear for her. Of course, all we can do is just let her be on her journey."

He nodded. What could he do? Narylfiel wasn't making this easy. The trees danced and swayed in the wind, their arms reaching out towards the sun. The sun was burning bright, her rays lighting up the forest.

"Who would leave their child here?" Alerthla asked curiously, trying to change the subject. "And how did they know about this place?" They had not thought about this before. Surely, it would have to cross their minds in the first place but they were to engaged in the moment.

"I wish to find out as well but we must help this baby," Daermaethor replied. "We must discuss what shall we do about her. We'll send Taristan to investigate. He's our best tracker and best person to trust to investigate," Daermaethor decided, not wanting to go deep into this discussion just yet. For all he knew this baby was abandoned, and who knew why or what had happened for this to take place.

Alerathla nodded as they returned to their home. Upon arriving, the rest of their companions were in a forlorn daze. Losing their home to ashes in the middle of the morning and the rest of the day just flew by was very troublesome. The three were worried as they tried to fix the house as much as they could before the dark of night swallowed up the land. But of course, when they saw the baby they dropped everything and bombarded them with questions. Daermaethor paid no attention for there was only one thing on his mind.

"Where's Narylfiel?"