The meaning of Fear

Aryan was dressed to leave. Salvatore had a meeting.

"You sure you can't come?" asked Aryan.

"I can't run around you all the time, Aryan. Then you should have married some common man," said Salvatore irritated as the question was asked to him for the 10th time that day.

Aryan did not ask anything after that. Salvatore felt a little bad because Aryan did not even look up at him when he left.

Salvatore was in the meeting when he got Caroline's call. He picked it up.

"What is it? Are they okay?" asked Salvatore.

"Your kid is safe, but Aryan is unconscious," snapped Caroline and cut the call.

Salvatore proceeded with the meeting, but he couldn't concentrate. Somehow he sat there for another half an hour before the deal was closed.

He called Caroline again who picked up.

"Did he wake up?" asked Salvatore.

"Yes, the doctor is admitting him to keep him in observation for the next seven days," said Caroline.

Salvatore sighed. He can't stall anymore. He asked the driver to leave for the hospital.

Aryan was asleep when he got there. He felt a slap on his face.

"You seriously don't deserve him, asshole," said Caroline and walked off

Salvatore did not say anything.

"Well, he knew what he was walking into," said Salvatore.

Aryan stirred and saw Salvatore but did not say anything.

"You had a meeting in the evening too, If I remember right?" asked Aryan, not looking at him.

"I do," said Salvatore.

"Then what are you doing here?" asked Aryan.

Salvatore looked at him.

"See, I never wanted to stand in way of your work. I am fine, alright. You don't have to do this," said Aryan.

Salvatore did not say anything. Aryan's face looked so blank and it sort of affected him.

He turned and left. He did not go to work but went home. 'Home'.

Salvatore has never before thought if it as home. He had come to think of it as home since Aryan came into that house.

Salvatore tried to do work. He really did. He tried to sleep too. He just couldn't.

He got up and left for the hospital. Aryan was awake and saw Salvatore walk in.

" Caroline said you didn't go to the meeting. Don't tell me you took some bitch or cock home," said Aryan.

Salvatore just glared at him and sat down next to him.

"Good fuck too, if you wanted more details," said Salvatore as he laid down next to Aryan who turned and cuddled onto Salvatore.

"I was just. It's stupid. I know you wouldn't do that," said Aryan.

Salvatore sighed.

"Good, because I thought you knew that I can't stand people at all," said Salvatore

"But you missed me?" asked Aryan smiling.

"Well I did get fucked, didn't I? You are very good at mindfuck," said Salvatore.

Aryan snorted.

"Only to you," said Aryan and nipped on Salvatore's lip.

"Really?" asked Salvatore looking at him.

Aryan gave a sheepish smile.

"I am horny now," he said.

Salvatore groaned. "You are not supposed to exert yourself much," said Salvatore.

Aryan smirked.

"Well, the doctor woman is not going to find out that we had sex and well, even if we did, I have sex with my husband, yeah, so what?" asked Aryan.

Salvatore rolled his eyes knowing he cannot stop Aryan when he put the mind into something.
Salvatore was surprised when Aryan went down on him and smirked seeing his ministrations on the man's lip has worked. He was half hard.

---------------------

Salvatore woke up when he heard the knock on the door. Aryan was asleep in his arms and he placed a small kiss on Aryan's forehead before he got up. That felt too intimate and he was cursing himself as he walked to open the door.

The doctor checked Aryan and said, "I thought I said no exertion, Mr Manzoni."

Salvatore was silent.

"Well, My husband is hot. There is nothing I can do about it," said Aryan.
Salvatore tried to not look at the woman's face. But her cheeks were red and even the wrinkles on her face did not hide it.

She cleared her throat and looked at Salvatore.

"The issue is with the amount of stress he was in. What is your profession, Mr Manzoni? Are you in the army or with the cops. Usually, spouses worry about their partner and I understand he also recently lost his father. So, whatever it is that your job is, I would suggest you keep your husband posted on your safety," said Dr Lazmova.

Salvatore looked at Aryan who looked away, horrified.

"You should really mind your own business doctor," muttered Aryan.

"I was not aware that my profession and lack of contact while at work worried him so much," Salvatore.

The doctor said a few more things and left.

A silence hung in the air. Salvatore looked at
Aryan.

"I thought you were very brave. The punches, the jumping out of car shenanigans," said Salvatore as he closed the door.

"I am," said Aryan.

"Then why is the doctor worried about my profession?" asked Salvatore.

"She is insane," said Aryan.

Salvatore sat down next to Aryan who looks at him.

Aryan sighed.

"I am brave and I don't mind anything coming my way, but you - I," Aryan looked away, breaking his own conversation.

"I worry that you might not come home to us, to me, one day. When you get late than usual, I worry something might be wrong and I can't even call because I know it would be foolish. What if you are in a crossfire. Dad always said not to do that when I used to be worried. I- I know you will be fine but not knowing, it does weird things to your mind. To be honest, thinking that you might have an affair is much easier and less taxing than thinking that you might die," said Aryan laughing a hollow laugh.

Salvatore began to talk.

"I know what I signed up for. I just worry," said Aryan and looked away.

Salvatore felt his eyes were wet. He looked away. He doesn't remember the last time he cried. Maybe when he was a kid. He took a deep breath before he looked at Aryan who was looking down.

At that moment, Salvatore wanted to hug Aryan and never let go. Instead, he placed an arm on top of Aryan's in a comforting gesture.

Aryan looked at him but his eyes were looking at the wall.

Aryan smiled a bit as he let his fingers clasp on Salvatore's arm.