60

Matei met Aun on her way to the empress's chambers, carrying a tray laden with supper.

"I'll take that for you," he said, reaching for it.

Aun raised an eyebrow as she passed it into his hands. "Thank you, Matei. Don't let that Madam Gella see you carrying a tray like a servant."

He chuckled. "You've been working all day, Aun; I know you were down in the Arcborn Quarter organizing things at your hospital. You must be exhausted. Go to bed."

She smiled. "It doesn't feel like work," she said. "The hospital is going to change lives, Matei; I'm pleased you gave me permission to open one."

"Permission to care for sick babies and frail old men?" He shook his head.

"You may laugh, but bandages, medicine, beds—all of it costs money, and I know you advocated with the council on my behalf." Aun hesitated, a shadow passing over her face. "It was the expense that turned a winter illness in my home village into a deadly plague. I know your focus is on bringing the marked into matters of government, Matei, but things like this...healers, schools...They will make an even greater difference in the lives of ordinary people. Mark my words."

Matei looked at Aun, overcome for a moment with gratitude for this woman. As the rebellion had mounted toward a crescendo, Aun had changed from acquaintance to friend. Her bold defense of and kind regard for Mhera had endeared her to him well before he was able to confess why he cared for the Starborn noblewoman he'd entrapped; Aun had seen Mhera as a friendless woman in a hostile place and had taken her under her wing. She had saved the life of an enemy prince, Matei's brother, and more recently, she'd saved the life of his wife. She was one of the bravest and most practical women Matei had ever known, and although she was very far from home, she was not letting the imperial city change her.

"That's a very somber look," Aun said, cocking her head.

"I was just thinking how grateful I am for you," he said. He shifted the weight of the supper tray in his arms. The events of these recent days had shown him clearly that the time to be honest, the time to let the people in his life know what they meant to him, was always the present moment. Had he and Mhera not confessed, they might both have gone to their graves without the gift of one another's love. Anything could happen at any hour, and he wanted Aun to know what a friend she had been to him. "I am glad to have you as a part of this work. And I'm blessed to have you as a friend."

It was dim in the hallway, but under the cool blue light of the nearest spirit globe, he thought he saw her cheeks darken with a blush. "That's very sweet, Matei. I'm honored to be a part of all of this...and I'm blessed to have you as a friend, too."

"Now—go to your rest. That's an order." He smiled at her. "I'll see to Mhera's supper."

"Matei?"

"What is it?"

She frowned at him; it looked as if she had something on her mind, something she hesitated to voice. "Does the difference in your bloodlines ever make things...difficult between you and Mhera?"

Now it was Matei's turn to frown. He had suspected for a while that Aun had tender feelings toward his brother, and the nature of her question made it clear to him that his suspicions were not unfounded. "No," he said, "but she knew me when I was a Starborn boy. Sometimes I think she still sees me like that, even though the marke is plain on my face."

Aun nodded, looking thoughtful.

"Is there something on your mind?" Matei asked.

She shook her head, giving him a smile that he thought seemed rather strained. "Call me if you need anything. Her bandages should be fine, and she will know which medicine she needs." Aun leaned up and kissed Matei's cheek with a sisterly smile. "Don't stay up too long into the night; you must take care of yourself, too."