64

It was a quiet afternoon nearly two years into Matei and Mhera's reign, and the summer rains had kept most of the palace residents inside for a week. Kaori stepped out onto the path that would take him into the gardens, breathing deep of the damp air.

Aun had asked to meet him in the gardens; she had not specified the location, but he knew where he would find her all the same. He wound his way along the cobbled paths toward the snowblossom trees under which they had stood one day, many moons ago, when she had wrapped her in his shawl and kissed away the cold.

His eyes fell closed for a moment at the pleasant memory. He intended to make another such memory today, one he would hold for the rest of his life. It had taken him many a long hour's contemplation, but he had finally decided.

The parting clouds revealed a bright blue sky, and sunlight winked down from the heavens, brilliantly illuminating the green leaves of the snowblossom trees. The trees were not blooming—snowblossoms were a spring and a winter flower—and the glossy leaves gleamed like emeralds, a sight to behold after the gloomy days past.

He saw Aun, looking as fresh and sweet as always. She was wearing a pale blue dress and, as usual, an apron. Her auburn hair fell in a braid over her shoulder. She was crouched on the path, examining a rogue flower that poked its head bravely out of the grass, but the sound of his footstep drew her attention and she stood.

Kaori sensed immediately that there was something on her mind; it was there in the set of her mouth. "Good afternoon, my dove," he said. He brushed a kiss over her cheek and she lowered her gaze, smiling faintly.

"How are you?" she asked.

He took her hand, sliding his fingers into hers. "I'm well. I met with the architect this morning; plans for your second hospital are proceeding apace."

"I'm glad to hear it," Aun said. She leaned into his arms, resting her cheek on his chest.

"And what have you been doing today?" Kaori asked.

"Thinking," she replied, "and little else."

"Oh? Will you tell me what's on your mind?"

She drew back just enough to look up at him. It was a cool day, and her marke stood out boldly against the pale skin of her cheek. "Not today, my love, but soon." She knit her brow, frowning. "What's wrong?"

Perhaps he had revealed too much of his own mind with his expression. He smiled and said, "Nothing. Just thinking."

Aun wrinkled her nose at Kaori and took a step back from him. "I suppose that serves me right. Fair is fair if you say no, but I'll ask anyway: what's on your mind, my prince?"

Kaori reached up to brush a lock of Aun's auburn hair back from her brow, his fingers lingering at her temple, her cheek. He searched her face, trying to determine if it was the right moment. The curious look in her eyes and the quirk of a smile at the corner of her mouth convinced him.

"Aun," he said, still cupping her cheek. His thumb traced the shape of her marke. "I love you."

"I know." She gave him an impish smile. "You've said that once or twice."

"I love you more than I could ever love another woman in this world."

She was silent now, searching his face, and the smile faded from her lips.

"I can know no happiness without you by my side. Will you honor me, Aun u Aushana, by being my wife?"

Her expression didn't change. She was looking at him very seriously. It seemed for all the world like she had expected this, like she had read his intent a few seconds before he had voiced it, and that his question had not surprised her. And that much would not have bothered Kaori; they had been lovers for many seasons, and they had been clear with one another about their feelings. She must have expected that he would propose marriage to her at some point.