Chapter 2: Kiara

Being the focus of everyone's attention is as both unnerving and exhilarating. A black Flame. What did that mean? What Mancer rank was that? Kiara looked to Tess. Her twin stared back at her, mirroring her shock with sea green eyes.

Kiara looked to the window where their father was watching. What was the look on his face? Surprise? Fear? The faces of the crowd below blurred together. She couldn't tell what they were thinking, but she could tell some had begun to leave.

Kiara's mind raced. Was this good or bad? Was this dangerous? Was she dreaming? Was this really a fairytale like Tess hoped it was, constructed by some higher being? Kiara focused on rational thought. It was probably bad, and dangerous, but what could she do about it? She didn't feel like she was dreaming- time was moving too slow for that- and fairytales weren't real. Then why was this unheard-of black Flame hovering above her?

Mancer Jeoff's clap scattered her confusing thoughts. She needed to be calm.

Kiara's dream was originally to be like her mother, but now she had the opportunity to consider a larger goal. One that she'd thought about on the edge of sleep, to whisper to the stars. To be a famous Mancer. To make her mark on history and be remembered. She had the ambition and determination, but she just needed the Flame. Maybe she should've been more careful about what she wished for.

"That... that concludes this year's Inquisition, everyone! Thank you all for coming! Please enjoy the Inquisition Day festivities. For those of you who'd like to enroll for Inverell Academy, please stay in the courtyard and may your Mancing never fail." With that hurried closing statement, Mancer Jeoff's voice stopped echoing and returned to its normal volume. "Where are your parents?" Mancer Jeoff said, coming close to the girls. He looked... sweaty. Kiara glanced over to their home, from which her father was running. "Come with me, please." Mancer Jeoff tapped Kiara on the shoulder to get her attention. Kiara felt a bit uncomfortable, as she didn't like being touched by a stranger, but she followed, dragging Tess behind her. She'd need support with this.

Her father caught up with them as they entered the Jackrabbit Inn, where Mancer Jeoff was apparently staying on the upper floor. The door shut behind them without being touched.

Mancer Jeoff sat on the modest bed. "Nobody can hear us, I've made sure of it. Now, Mister...?" he looked towards the bulky man.

"Mr. Bradshaw, but you can call me Terence." He replied, sticking out a rough hand to shake. Mancer Jeoff ignored it. "Mr. Bradshaw, would you have any ideas as to why your child produced a black Flame?" Mancer Jeoff seemed to be taking the formality thing a bit seriously.

The girls' father looked to Kiara, his face blank. "Can't say that I do, no."

Mancer Jeoff turned his attention quickly away. "Now, Miss Bradshaw."

"Tess."

"Miss Bradshaw, do you have anything to say?"

Tess shook her head, then looked to Kiara. She looked concerned and... something else that had a hard edge to it.

"Miss...?"

Kiara paused. Should she even bother? He'd ignored everyone else's names so far.

"Kiara."

"Miss Kiara." Huh, it worked. Kiara expected the following question to come, and prepared her "I don't know either" answer.

"I'll be honest. I am not as knowledgeable as my colleagues at Inverell Academy."

Well. Okay. Not what Kiara expected.

Mancer Jeoff turned back to her father. "That is why I must take Kiara to Inverell Academy, where we will learn more about this black Flame."