Heartache

"have you ever felt your heart break into a million pieces"

You had just gotten to the park, you had heard Spider-Man land on the soft ground next to you before asking your question. You grabbed your mask off your face and clenched it tightly in your hands not caring who saw your identity. Your emotions were not easily hidden on your innocent face. Your pain was evident in the crease of your lovely brows and the down-curve of your full lips. But your eyes, your eyes showed your soul. They were a deep pool of restless gold, an ocean of hopeless grief. As Peter looked into her eyes he knew, all the beauty of the universe could not even hope to compete with this simple thing: passion. Passion turned her eyes into orbs of the brightest fire, and in them he read clearly that she would fight to the very last tear for her life. She would not let the world break her. Sure she could cry, but she would never let them take her true self from her. She clung to it with passion. Passion that made her beautiful. You were beautiful, you were black cat....you were black cat....YOU WERE BLACK CAT!?! Peter looked over at you, you were a villain all this time he had tried to stop people like you, to make the world a better place and here you were all along corrupting it. Some people are born good and always fight off the bad. Some people are born bad and become good through great effort. Others are born in light and fall to darkness. And others are born in darkness and cannot see the light. Try as you might to believe otherwise, everyone fits into one of those categories. Which one are you? Are you good or bad? Light or dark? An angel or a demon? I know what I am.

"Why do you do this" he asks confusing you "why do you cheat, rob and steal" you smiled this one was easy "for fun" you said the lies slipping off your tongue. The lies that I fear most are the ones close enough to the truth to pass under the radar, or else the ones that are so big you'd never dream a person could make something like that up. The half truths lead you away from trust into a closet xenophobia. The big ones are shock and awe, they just root you in fear so your primal brains starts doing the thinking. Once you're in survival mode there's a muzzle on your higher thinking, concepts like altruism, charity and cooperation become whispers among the anxious screams. If you fight it you stick out, you're a rebel, a conspiracy theorist, a marked person. So you take the government issue blinkers and set about your day, punch the clock, eat the cookie, buy the coffee.

Peter froze, he had to tell you his secret "I don't think we can be friends anymore" you laughed breaking his heart "we hardly know each other, we are merely to ships in the night crossing each other's paths once in a while" Peter reached for his mask taking it off. The boy was perfection in coffee hues; his hair and eyes were the colour of dark roasted beans but his skin was all snow white. He had that shy look about him teens often get when they've grown too much too fast, like they aren't really sure about being a man just yet. He was skinny, but the way his clothes hung gave away the muscle beneath; and always in his wake were heads turning to watch him go. Those brown eyes are a million hues, so I wonder what the word "brown" even means. They are the forest and the autumnal leaves, the soil in summer and after the rains. How could we ever reduce something so spellbinding to one word, when the colours invite us to marvel in their simplicity. In those earthy hues was his soul, not in they way of those cheesy romance novels, so obsessed with lust, but with the kind of beauty that expands a moment into a personal eternity, a heaven you wish to be a part of.

"Peter" you whispered to yourself. "I can't be your friend anymore" Only one I love so much could be my assassin. It takes an inside job to attack one so resilient to emotional injury. That is my heartbreak, to know you are the tool of my greatest pain, my lover. I could be hurt in any way by another and still bounce right back, but you... but you... can do far worse with just a few small words. You don't mean them, I know it - in a way that makes it worse. "But if you changed we could be partners, make the world a better place" you smiled "While I love you more than anything, I won't switch sides for you just like you wouldn't do for me" he froze this was the end then. "I love you" "Liar" he said it broke you and you knew their was not going to be a happy ending to this story "Be honest, why are you doing this" you paused he deserved the truth. "You cannot be fully angelic unless you possess the ability to be truly evil; goodness is a choice. It is feeling the power of darkness and walking the other way no matter how painful. It is looking in the mirror with open eyes and learning how to change until you love who you are. Goodness is an exercise in free will; this life will reveal all within you, yet choose wisely the pieces with which you build yourself. All roads back into the light are pain ten fold, your soul a magnifying glass for your guilt. Take heart, be brave, acknowledge and own your capacity for evil - for it is only by the darkness that the brilliance of pure light can shine as a beacon for others. Your destiny is to lead, not from your own demand, but because you are the brightest star in this black night." "You know I never know what you mean when you get poetic like that" you stared at him trying to be brave "I could analyse the most boring textbook and get it in second, I could find the sweetest story and make sense of it, but you, I could never make sense of you" he turned around and swung off into the night leaving you all alone.

"Hello black cat" a voice said from behind you, turning around you were faced with an intimidating looking man. He had dark skin and scars running across one of his eyes hidden by an eye patch. "You know your a difficult person to track down" "well I must not be that good if you found me" he let out a small laugh already deciding he liked you very much. "I have an opportunity for you, an opportunity to do good and make the world a better place" "what has the world ever done for me" "I often think the same thing" fury said. "I have a mission for you if you choose to accept, their is a new threat on the horizon our sources tell us their called elementals and-" "I've got to stop you right there, I'm not interested" fury nodded turning to leave "your struggling to pay rent on your apartment and you have no one to support you, I have a safe house in New York. Take it and when you change your mind, call me" he said walking away leaving you alone with your thoughts.