Caught

Jerik looks up to me with puffy eyes trying to speak but he just looks down again looking destroyed. But my weakness is getting worse, luggin myself up I can hardly keep my head up, and if I cant keep my head up then you better guess I cant keep my head up I cant keep my body up. Collapsing to the floor completely and utterly weak. The guys shoes scuff against the floor rushing to my side, my body begins to shake terribly from the chill and I can hardly keep consciousness. “Ruby are you okay? Call 9-1-1!” Jerik barks laying me on my side, suddenly everything goes dark.

Jerik POV

            Her eyes roll to the back of her head and she begins seasing, and hard too. This could hurt the baby! Quickly turning to her side while Terrance calls for an ambulance I try anything to make it stop but it doesn’t. Blood now seeps from her mouth along with foam. All of us begin to panic trying to stop her, holding her arms, and legs so they stop moving but the amount of force into the seazing could break her bones.

            Then she suddenly stops, the bell rings to next period but Darrien is already prepaired and warding off people. This cannot be happening, how did she just have a seizure? How did she pass out? This is just absurd! The coaches are coming in persistant and demanding but once they see her on the ground they all rush to our aid. “What is wrong? What happened to her?” They panic feeling for her pulse and pushing on her stomach.

            “We don’t know she has been kind of off today, we already called the ambulance.”

            “Okay you did very well, we will go flag them down.” They are treating me as if I am a student. They quickly scurry away while I just stare at her so pale and sweat forming on her body. Soon the paramedics are charging through the gym with a duffel bag and a gurnie. Darting to my side they begin to check her throuroly.

            “What happened?” They ask not straying from their task.

            “She came out from the locker room, collapsed, then seized that’s all we know.” They nod and quickly place her still and pale body on the gournie whisking her through the croud of teenagers with phone ready taking pictures and murmering before all four of us hop into the ambulance. The paramedic, Ruby, and I. They test something weird out and letting me read the numbers, its reads 560. “What is that?” I ask them confused still looking to her so confused.

            “This is a glucose reader, its for gestational diabetes, its clearly positive. With a high glucose like this is why she is having these symptoms, cold sweats, small shakes, and the seizure. But we don’t know why she had it she doesn’t seem to match any of the causes.” They both shake their heads confused but my shaky hand trails into hers holding it tightly, so many bad things keep happening to her. A tear falls from my eye, she cant keep going through all of this, but this means that she might be able to stay longer here and not have to go to her grandmothers house. The ride is so much more bumpy now, going over large bumps and such making things shift around in the ambulance.

            There are loud sirens now all around us and the ambulance goes much faster, I guess that was an okay to go faster? The ambulance suddenly stops sending me forwards almost on top of Ruby but the back flys open and everyone scrambles out. Everything is so hectic and confusing, she now has diabeties? Hopping out I begin to race after them into the elevator, watching her soft face so intently I see it stir. “Ruby? Are you feeling okay?” Asking her softly, soon her eyes squint open faintly but then they close all over again. Hearing the ding of the elevator the doors soon slide open nicely and we are darting out again with a whole new team of nurses and doctors.

            “We can take it from here thank you.” The doctors say rolling her out of my safe grasp. Her fingers trailing over my palm weakly, as nurses hold me back from her. I feel so weak and destroyed, not one more thing needs to go wrong. My phone rings desperately distracting me from my gaze and I wiggle from the nurses headed to the waiting room chairs, which are not comfortable.