Settling In

Ariving to my grandma’s house the cab driver helps us to the door with our luggage, grandma stays behind paying the man while I punch in the code letting myself in. Its quiet and clean, and very large, its like a mini mansion, two floors but its like so beautiful, it’s the biggest house on the block. I have never seen this house before, she bought it after grandpa died.

            “Do you like it?” She asks zooming in after me, she rolls her bag to the other side where a maid greets her taking her bag.

            “Its beautiful.” Soon a small and a large dog come running up to me wagging their tails. The bigger dog sniffs my stomach making me kind of nervous.

            “Sit!” My grandma barks and they instantly sit but wagging their tails viciously. “The bull dog is T-bone, and the one that looks like the dog from Batoven, is well Batoven. Don’t pet them when they are all hyper and jittery like this, they will pee. Now I have a present for you. Come.” Eyeing the dogs warily, I quickly rush around them to my grandmas side, I have never been one for dogs, they are adorable but they are intimidating. Following her into the kennel room, that’s what the sign says on the door I see three cages, two of which I see are empty. Grandma bends down carefully opening the smaller kennel before pulling out a small black puppy that whimpers softly in her arms. She brings it over to me placing it in my arms. This puppy is so cute! Holding the puppy up so I can see its face, its clearly a girl.

            “Oh you are so cute!” Putting my nose near her face she licks it excitedly before I hold her like a baby again.

            “This is your puppy, Madiline, you will train her, feed her, walk her, and clean up any mess she makes. This is as big as these dogs get. She doesn’t shed and she is good with children, I can have someone take her cage and food upstairs. Come along.” She ushers me to follow her as she pushes past me heading towards the stairs. “Now I thought about keeping you on this level but if you were to ever get married you two would want your own space. But also if you went into labor and you couldn’t get down the stairs, then that would be a problem.”

            “I can manage granny.” I say following her up the wood stairs up to a door, you cant see the upper floor because it is a giant wall then a door you have to open. She opens it to reveal the exact same lay out as down stairs just a tiny bit smaller. But its designed all teenagerish. Its also already baby proofed, no uncovered outlets, all the cupboards are sealed, everything looks great.

            “Everything is already stocked up, food, cleaning supplies, dishes. Nothing to worry about, I am kind of loaded so nothing is too much for me. If you need more food just write it down and I will get it for you. Also, I knew you didn’t have a phone so I got you this, along with numbers already programmed in OB’s and pediatricians, and birthing classes, things like that. I have a routine I want you to follow, keep upstairs clean and tidy. I will have a weekly routine every week for you. In two weeks you have an appointment, then when you are seven months you get to start your birthing classes! Some of the gardeners offered as your partners. They are all super attractive, you should meet them, after you settle in. You have two TV’s up here, and a computer. Any question?” She asks so excited, this is a lot of things to take in, but birthing classes? Oh great!

            “Nope, I think I will just look around, settle in, maybe take a nap?”

            “Okay sounds good, if you need anything there are these things in every room see?” She walks over to a silver small panel with a volume nob and four different buttons along with a speaker. She presses listen and you can hear all the conversations in the downstairs room. “Hello everyone, my granddaughter just got in today say hello.” Immediately there is a jumble of sounds of hellos speaking through it.

            “That’s awesome!”                        

            “Yeah so if I am not home and someone comes to the door you can just speak to them through here if you don’t want to answer the door.”

            “Cool.”

            “And if anything happens while I am not home there are walkies on every staff member you can reach by hitting talk. The gardeners and the maids always have them on.”

            “Sounds good, thank you so much grandma this means a lot. I will see you later.” I say and she gives me a quick hug before leaving down the stairs closing the door behind her. I turn on the light so I can see investigating this small upstairs. Its so adorable. Looking down to the puppy I see she is sound asleep. “I don’t trust you on the floor.” I whisper to her not making a difference. So I begin my tour, walking around there are three rooms up here, and two bathrooms. Opening the room that connects to another I see a small baby’s nursery, its painted brown, it is so beautiful. Baby clothes, and socks fill the beautiful dresser, I recognize this dresser from a picture, my grandpa hand carved this dresser and made the paint to paint it. He was a remarkable man. Its all set for a baby to come, plenty of pacifiers, diapers, wipes, powder, onesies, burp rags, bottles, and cans of formula. There is a beautiful rocking chair, yet another creation of my grandpas, and a crib. This crib is so safe looking and comfortable, it is like a childs thrown. A blanket with giraffes drape over the side with a pillow in it and small stuffed giraffes.

            It has one light in here and going over to the switch it’s a nozzle that I can adjust, this is perfect. Feeling the overwhelming tears fill my eyes from the joy and beauty I let them spill over. She is so going to be spoiled. I just need to sleep, no more tears. Leaving the room I close the door behind me and get the whiff of butterscotch plug in. So homely. Walking over to my room it connects with her room, with a bathroom in the middle, my room looks exactly like my other one, except the bed is bigger and I have a large computer at my desk, with a large TV across from my bed. “May I come in?” The speaker asks through the U.N.O ha-ha that’s a good one, unknown notification object. I don’t know the name and it informs me of things, and it’s an object? Ill have to look it up later, placing Maddie down on her small bed in the corner of my room I quickly rush to the door, opening it stands a really attractive, messy guy holding my suitcase.

            “Uh...yes please come in.” I say holding it open wider for him to come through, he comes in setting it down near my table looking annoyed.

            “Hi I am Taylor, your Ruby, nice to meet you in person. Welcome to Colorado, I have to get back to work bye.” He quickly leaves closing the door behind him, well he just rushed every word out as if he was annoyed with me. More friends, yay! Sighing with annoyance I head to the table grabbing my suitcase when I see a binder, taking it with me into my room its filled with papers. Closing my door behind me I hop onto my super comfortable bed pulling out my phone. Opening the white small binder it has a chanel list, the wifi password, and my phone number. 1(809)763-2451, it cant be that hard to remember? Flipping more through the binder it has numbers for clinics and their addresses, baby shops, hospitals, pediatricians, and OB’s. Everything that I need for an emergencie, that’s really awesome.