1

August 11th, 2018

I woke up as I did every other day, before the sun rises I offered tabacco to the fire that my brother started in the backyard and gave thanks to the creator for all that I had.
Although, my regular morning routine would come to an end today.
I wasn't going to tend to the cattle anymore, or haul water for my family.

I was moving to California, along with my father and younger brother Kenai.
My mother recently passed away after she tried to ride my uncle's untrained horse.

My father decided, that it was best for the three of us to move to California so that we can move on with our lives. He said that she wouldn't want us to mope around, she would want us to live our lives and not take it for granted.

I didn't want to leave my home here in New Mexico. The reservation life is all I knew for the most part. The city won't be the same at all, instead of being surrounded by landscapes I'll be surrounded with buildings and cars. All my feet will touch is concrete and gravel, instead of the dirt of the earth.
I know I will get better opportunities off the reservation, but I love my people and I will miss my home.

"Hey, are you hungry? I made pancakes," Kenai said as he peaked into my room.

"Yeah, I'll be right there let me just put my pillow and blankets in the car," I said.

He walked back to the kitchen.
I sighed and looked around my empty bedroom. All that was left was my bare mattress and it's frame.

I walked out to our car and put the last of my things in the car.

After we ate breakfast, it was time to leave.
We said our goodbyes to our relatives, and even though I promised myself I wouldn't cry- I did as I stared out the window and tried to take mental pictures of the place I called home.

"Goodbye mom..." I whispered.