4

August 13th (Continued)

I stopped my board when I came up to the parking lot of Alejandro's Diner.

It looked like a cute place, there was a chalkboard sign near the entrance that advertised for 'Retro Night' on Friday's.

The dinner definitely had an authentic retro feel. I would love to work here.

As I entered the diner, I was greeted by my favorite Chuck Berry song and a lovely waitress who looked to be in her 40s.
She was a Chicano lady with black hair pulled up into a bun, she was a little bit taller than me— but then again I'm 5ft tall and everyone is taller than me.

"¡Hola¡ Welcome to Alejandro's, just one?" She asked.

"Actually, I'm interested in a job position. I saw your ad in the paper." I said with a light smile.

"That's great! Let me just grab the application for you and I'll be right back." She shot me a smile and headed behind the counter, I'm guessing to a small office.

I looked around at all the vinyl records, posters, and pictures on the walls. There were even a few old news clippings about this diner that were framed along with everything else.

When the waitress came back, she handed me a pen and small packet application to fill out.

"My name is Anna by the way, let me know if you need help with anything. Would you like something to eat, while you fill all that out?"

"Yes please, and thank you Anna— my name is Haseya."

"Haseya, what a pretty name." She said with a small smile.

"Thank you." I said and started on the paperwork.

When I was almost finished with the application, she brought me a hamburger and a strawberry milkshake.

•••

Once I got home it was around 2:45, so Kenai was almost finished with his first day back to school. I was still very nervous for him... I never went to a public school in an urban setting. I know there's Natives that do, but I just wanted Kenai to have a good experience and everything.

I decided to put on some music on the tv and make snacks and prep for dinner later. Just in case he came home with new friends.

Eventually Kenai came home, along with 2 other kids from school.

"Yaya! I'm home!" Kenai yelled.

I just put a pan of chicken enchiladas into the oven, when I shouted— "in the kitchen!"

"Hey, can a couple of my friends from school hangout?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure. I already have snacks on the table for you guys. Just clean up after yourselves."

"Will do..." Kenai said with a smirk, as he picked up a couple of snacks I prepared earlier.

I decided to introduce myself, after I washed the dishes.

When I went to the living room, the three teenagers were watching A Bronx Tale.

Kenai saw me walking in, and introduced me to a girl with brown hair almost as long as mine. I gotta say, her jaw line and cheek bones were on point.
And a boy with black hair—shorter hair than my brother's, but long enough to do that little hair flip.

"Yaya, this is Chassitti and Mikey."

They both did a small wave and and said hey

"Let me know if you guys need anything, I'm gonna be on my room— oh! And let me know when the oven goes off. The food should be ready in an hour."

"Okay." Kenai said with food in his mouth, staring at the tv.

I messed up his hair and walked to my room to unpack the last of my little boxes that I put to the side.

I had just gotten finished organizing my dvds and books, when I came across the box.

The red Nike box I kept was too harsh on my heart to look at, so I just shoved it under my bed. I had to shake off that sad and frustrated feeling.

I decided to just work on a self portrait for this week, and have a short journal entry on the page next to it.

My journal topic for today was about "love".

I had a million thoughts running in my head just on that one word.

My ex boyfriend. My family. My passion and interests.

I put on some background music and decided to write down my feelings and thoughts.

'Right now I felt like love was something far away... out of reach. Like I'd never get to experience it again. Not in such a pure, raw, and easy relationship way I guess...

It's going to snow on the Rez this upcoming winter, and that makes me sad because I won't be there to enjoy it. To welcome the snow as an old friend. No more snow fights with my friends or shut-in's with Chris.'

My thoughts got caught off by Kenai knocking at my door.

"Hey the food is ready." Kenai said.

I stretched my arms up. "Okay, I'm coming."