Chapter Twenty-Four

Joshua is going to murder me.

Eli rested his forehead against the cool glass of the cab as they passed Lake Johanna outside the city of Minneapolis, trying to still the rapid beating of his heart. The pink slip of paper in his hands was crumpled and torn from how many times he’d scrunched it up on the ride. He was so close now, he could almost see his mother’s face when she opened the door.

All it took was one phone call to his grandmother in Chicago. Joshua didn’t know, and that didn’t matter. Sure, Eli was risking his identity and his safety by leaving the hotel, but he couldn’t pass through the city without at least trying to get in contact with the mother that abandoned him nine years ago. Even just to see her face, to ask her why she left.

His fears grew from hills to mountains as the taxi cab pulled up in front of a simple suburban house. The setting sun made the white walls glow brightly and the chime hanging by the front door jingled in the breeze. Eli didn’t move from his seat and the meter continued to go up.

Mom is right there, he thought. Just a few steps away. What if she closes the door in my face? What if she refuses to see me? What if she isn’t home?

All his life, he dreamed of that moment. But it all seemed too good to be true.

“This is the house, kid,” grumbled the driver. “You gonna get out or what?”

Eli frowned at him. “Are you sure?”

“Been a cab driver in this city for thirty-two years,” he replied. “Trust me, I know these streets. That’ll be twenty-seven fifty.”

In a daze, Eli handed over the cash and stepped out of the cab. He stood on the sidewalk between two crab-apple trees for what felt like hours. He soon found the courage to force his legs to the front door and knock. He’d come this far. Might as well get his answers.

There were running footsteps to the door and Eli felt his heart leap into his chest. The door opened to no one. Frowning, Eli looked down and saw a small girl of about five wearing a blue princess dress and her blond hair in pig-tails. She peered up at him from behind the door.

Eli couldn’t find his voice. I definitely have the wrong address.

“Are you the mail man?” the little girl asked.

Eli started to back away. “Uh… I…”

“Sia, honey, who–”

A man appeared in the doorway. He was tall with sandy-blond hair tucked behind his ears. He had chiseled features and a serious country vibe. As he smiled at Eli, he swung the little girl up into his arms and rested her on his hip.

“Can I help you?”

“I’m… I’m sorry,” he stuttered. “I think I have the wrong address.”

“You’re looking for the old Andersons, right?” The man stepped outside quickly, causing Eli to back up against the porch banister. For some reason, he feared the man was about to punch him. “They’re down at number twenty-five. Everyone gets us mixed up. I’m Dean Anderson, by the way.”

Mom can’t be living here. “Yeah, I definitely have the wrong address. I’m looking for a Mary Akerman.”

“Mary?” he frowned. “That’s my wife. She’s upstairs.”

Eli suddenly wanted to keel over and die. He gripped the banister for support and Dean rushed forward to help him.

“Woah, are you okay there Bud?”

“She’s here?” he croaked out. “Mary’s here?”

“Yeah. She’s working in the study. Wait… who are you?”