Chapter Forty-Six

He’s crazy. Bat-shit, out-of-his-mind, dingo-ate-my-baby crazy.

No matter how many times Jenny repeated that in her mind, it didn’t change their situation in the slightest. She was still under ‘observation’ by the FBI. She was still aching all over from her recent heart attack. And they were still in a chunky SUV driving across the country with a federal agent in the driver’s seat.

Jenny glanced at Eli on the opposite side of the car. He was staring out at the dark night, his eyes drooping shut every few seconds then snapping open again. After Joshua’s FBI friend – since when did he ever have an officer of the law as a friend? Since when did Joshua have friends? – took them out of the interrogation room and told them to pack up their bags and jump in the back of his car, Jenny knew Joshua was up to something. He wouldn’t just get arrested for the sake of helping the Feds out. He had a plan; she could see it in his eyes. But in showing this guy all of the secrets he’d fought to keep, what good did that do but get them into more trouble?

Jenny’s mind was buzzing, and it made it that much more difficult to sleep. Not to mention the pain in her chest every time they drove over a stone or a dip in the road. It was nearing three-am, and despite the fact that she needed sleep, she simply couldn’t do it.

Agent Barry Sanders took his hand off the wheel and pressed his fingers against his ear. “Copy that Arthur. We’re about five miles outside of Spokane. I’ll need to refuel, call you when we’re at the motel.”

“What motel?” she asked.

Barry turned the heat up and Eli stirred in the backseat. He had a line of drool down his chin. He didn’t answer her.

“Okay, that’s it-” She leaned forward and stuck her head between the two front seats. “Joshua, what the hell is going on? Where are we going, and how is bringing the FBI helping our situation?”

Joshua gave her a warning look and the car turned instantly cold. “Jenny…”

“It’s helping your situation by not arresting all three of you for fraud and kidnapping,” Barry grumbled. “And shit, Edward Cullen, you might not be able to feel the cold but we’re all losing valuable body parts here. Turn it off!”

Joshua went rigid and immediately released the cold temperature of the car. Barry shot him a frown and went back to concentrating on the road.

I really don’t like this guy, Jenny thought to herself, though she admired Barry’s confidence with a man as powerful as Joshua. He reeks of arrogance. “Okay, so once we complete this little mission of yours, what happens to us? To Eli and I, at least?”

“Hmm?” Eli sat up fast at the mention of his name. “What?”

“We’ll cross that bridge when we get there,” Barry replied. “But I believe we have a bigger problem on our hands, am I right Jennifer?”

Jenny grumbled under her breath and heard him snicker. What was the point in arguing with this man? Whatever Joshua told him, he was intent on getting there and nothing she could say would change his mind. Jenny knew she should trust Joshua but something about getting involved with the government – particularly the FBI – made her uneasy. Was she going crazy? Did Joshua really know what he was doing?

Jenny tried to relax in the tight leather seats as the SUV plunged further down the highway into the dark night, but her stomach didn’t settle even after they parked in a motel outside of Spokane. Jenny spent longer than usual in the shower and glanced through the peep-hole in the door where a local policeman had taken up guard of her door. The room was on the third floor, so there was no way she’d have any hope of escaping.