Chapter Three - The Library

Evelyn was confused. She didn't know what to do about anything. A few weeks ago she had just been an average student with a huge secret but more importantly she was safe, safe from mutants (as she had now had started referring to them as) and now ... they knew where she was but a part of her was screaming that Charles wasn't who she thought he was. That he was good and truly did not want to hurt her. It had not passed the young mutant that Charles could order her to do as he pleased with mind control but he hadn't. He was letting her have her own freewill. And it confused her because why would he let her have her freewill if he wanted her powers?

At that moment Evelyn was making her way between shelves of books. Rows upon rows of books from all sorts of authors, about all sorts of topics. Evelyn loved libraries. Any library was like Evelyn's second home; she loved the smell of libraries, the warmth and the endless books that showered the room. There was always just a calmness in the silence of a library.

However, this time Evelyn was just aimlessly walking through the books not really enjoying the experience as usual. She was supposed to be finding a book but her mind was flooded by the thoughts of the telepath so much so that she was not paying any attention to the books around her. Suddenly, as if her thoughts had brought him to life, Evelyn looked up to find herself walking towards Charles who was collecting books from one of the shelves. Evelyn stopped in her tracks and scanned the shelves she was stood beside. Reading the many book titles around her, Evelyn realised she had wandered off into the science sections of the library. As she brought her gaze back to Charles she found he was staring at her as well. It was clear he didn't really know what to say and neither did Evelyn.

"Its you" she blurted out finally. She was still in a state of shock to see him, she hadn't heard off of him in weeks, hadn't seen him in even longer. A small part of her was actually glad to see him, which made no sense as she didn't even know the man.

"Hi" Charles said with that perfect smile of his. The pair of them fell into silence completely unsure of what to say. Evelyn noticed how Charles very clearly wanted to talk to her but held himself back. She wished he wouldn't. As the time ticked on and neither said anything Evelyn began to wonder why he hadn't entered her mind as he had every other time they had spoken. Using her own telepathy she realised that Charles wasn't even attempting to enter her mind.

"You're not reading my mind" she suddenly said. The words caught Charles off at first. He hadn't expected her to have noticed, though he had wished it - hopefully she would trust him, even a little. Charles nodded and couldn't help but smile at her words. She sounded so surprised by the fact. Slowly Charles began to make his way to Evelyn, stopping just in front of her.

"You asked me not to" he replied simply. Evelyn was surprised by his answer; he listened to her and did as she asked. Schmidt certainly had never done that before. With Evelyn's lack of answer, Charles believed that he would not get anywhere. That she wanted him to leave. "I guess I'll just leave." Evelyn's eyes widened. She was shocked by her reaction to his retreating figure. She didn't want him to go. Evelyn also started to feel guilty. He had given her something and had listened to her, he deserved something in return. With him almost out of ear range, Evelyn gave the man something that meant she couldn't hide from him.

"Evelyn Hart."

"Excuse me?" Charles asked as he turned around frowning at her words.

"My name" Evelyn amended, "it's Evelyn Hart." And there it was. Her name, with her name Charles would be able to hunt her down from wherever she was. She could only hope her thoughts about Charles were right. Evelyn tightened her hold on her books, pulling them closer to her chest as she saw him making his way back to her. She felt vulnerable, more vulnerable than she had in eight years.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Evelyn Hart" Charles replied as he held out his hand to her. The woman looked at his hand a moment before she slipped her own into his. The pair shook hands before they slowly separated again. "I would love to speak with you about ... what happened the other day. About your ... gift." Evelyn sighed unsure of what to do. He was stood before her with a pleading look on his face whilst Evelyn struggled to fight her fears. He wanted to know about her gifts, her powers. Why? She wanted to trust him but what on earth did he want to know about her powers? At first she almost did say yes, say she would speak to him, explain her powers to him but then Schmidt ran through her head. A man who had also wanted to know about her powers.

"No" Evelyn whispered in fear. She couldn't go through it again. Upon seeing the sudden change in her, Charles spoke up in a calming and reassuring voice.

"If you ever do want to talk to me, just call for me and I will hear. Good day Miss Hart." With that Charles left Evelyn. She didn't know what to do. Charles had never done anything to make her believe he wanted to hurt her, he was adamant that he wouldn't hurt her, that he just wanted to get to know her but Evelyn's fear was so strong. Schmidt had scarred her, had terrorised her memory for so long. But was it right to put Charles in line with Schmidt? Was it fair?

One man wanted her powers, had locked her up and terrorised not only her but others. She would never forget his face. But Charles, he just wanted to know her but did that mean she could trust him?