Chapter Seven - A Kiss

I tried to find out what music players were popular in 1953 but it was confusing, I think they had turntables or gramophones, maybe both maybe neither, I went with a turntable that could very much be wrong but just go with it.

Enjoy!

**************

Oxford, England 1953

After the game of chess where Evelyn had finally won, Charles had been training with Evelyn. She couldn't argue with him. When she had woken up in his bed, she had realised just how dangerous that could have been - she had used up so much effort just to get Charles to move a chess piece. Knowing she didn't really want to faint every time she played a game of chess with Charles she had decided to train with him. Infuriatingly, Charles had been right and Evelyn was gaining much more control which was making her more powerful. But the training had also allowed Evelyn to be around Charles more, she knew that she sounded like a love-sick teenager but she wanted to spend every minute with him. He was smart, funny, handsome and she could trust him like no one else.

Christmas had come and gone and Evelyn and Charles found themselves running through the latter half of their academic years. Evelyn had taken a leap of faith with Charles, she had decided to trust the man despite her past with telepaths and cruel mutants but it had turned out to be the best decision ever. From the moment she had begun to trust them everything had changed. Evelyn was no longer alone. She had people she could be completely herself around with no fear of them finding out about her powers. She had people who knew what it was like to be different. She had people who were willing to help her with her control of her powers. And those people at that moment were of course working.

It seemed lately that Charles was constantly working. Evelyn was aware that Charles had his dissertation to write but she also thought that the man had been overworked. He spent the majority of his free time on his work and Evelyn believed that the man needed a night off for once. Whilst she was stood in Charles' kitchen with a glass of red wine in her hand Evelyn finally decided she was going to get Charles to stop. Making her way through the medium sized apartment, Evelyn swiftly found herself in Charles' study where he was buried in his work at his desk. For a moment Evelyn just stood and studied the man, even though his hair was scruffy from constantly running his hands though it and his crinkled shirt sleeves were rolled up to his elbows Evelyn found him to be just as handsome as ever. If only he felt the same way...

Taking a sip of her drink Evelyn's eyes drifted over to the turntable that sat silently off to the side. Silently, Evelyn made her way over to the turntable where a selection of records sat beside it untouched. Evelyn loved music; she loved listening to the beautiful sounds that people were able to create with instruments and their voices. But more importantly she loved to dance to it. Placing her wine glass down Evelyn began to gently turn through the records to find one she wanted to listen to. Soon enough her fingers stopped moving as her eyes rested upon one particular record. A record her parents loved. With a soft smile, Evelyn gently removed the record and fixed it onto the turntable where she set the player up. It took a few moments but the soft tones of the music came gently playing into the room. The perfect song for couples, a gentle loving song that was understated in Evelyn's opinion.

Evelyn turned to look at Charles and found the man had frozen in his seat, with papers in his hands as he looked up at her. Clearly, he wanted to know what Evelyn was doing. Without saying a word, Evelyn moved over to Charles and gently freed his hands of the papers, all the while Charles watched the woman with curiosity. Offering her hand to Charles she waited patiently for the man to take it.

"I'm doing something" Charles said.

"Yes you are" Evelyn replied as she grabbed his hand, not giving him an option, and began to pull him up onto his feet. "You're dancing with me." Charles chuckled at her but got onto his feet regardless. Pulling him around the desk with a smile, Evelyn silently celebrated - she had gotten him to stop working which was certainly a task and a half. Once the pair was in the middle of the study, where they were free of tripping over anything, Evelyn turned to face Charles a permanent smile on her face. Knowing what she wanted, Charles gently placed one hand on her hip whilst he took Evelyn's other hand in his. Evelyn smiled brightly as the pair began to sway to the music, each step in time with the steady beat. Slowly, the pair drifted closer to one another, to the point where their hips were touching and there was little space between the two of them.

Closing her eyes, Evelyn rested her head against Charles' shoulder as she allowed the music to flow through her. She had always loved this song so much. Soon enough Evelyn began to sing along with the music, each of the words perfect. Though Evelyn couldn't see, Charles had a contented smile across his face as he rested his head against hers and listened to her singing. The pair swayed with grace as the song filled the room. Evelyn had never felt happier. Who would have thought that dancing in someone's arms could make her feel so safe and content?

Eventually Evelyn began to hum the music as the words faded and the instruments had their solo. But once the singers joined in again, it wasn't Evelyn who started to sing, the young woman stayed silent as she listened to Charles' sultry voice singing the last verse of her parents' song. It surprised Evelyn how much she loved the fact that Charles knew the song. Pulling back, Evelyn looked up into Charles' beautiful eyes with a loving smile. As the last words passed his lips, Evelyn's eyes dropped to his lips as well. The need to kiss him was overwhelming, she wanted to so much but she didn't want to ruin the solid friendship she had gained over the months.

However, Charles hands slid up to cup Evelyn's neck seconds before his lips pressed gently against her own, taking the decision for her. Evelyn's eyes slid close as she moved her lips against Charles', copying his movements. She couldn't believe she was kissing Charles Xavier. It was so gentle and filled with emotion. She never wanted it to end. Slowly pulling back, Charles watched as Evelyn took a moment to savour her first kiss before her eyes opened. Evelyn could feel Charles gently rubbing his thumb against her cheek as they stared at one another not saying a word.

Evelyn was completely unsure what to say to Charles but one thing was for certain, she wanted to kiss Charles again, and again. In that one kiss, Evelyn finally discovered why people enjoyed the act so much. With a hesitation only known through a lack of experience, Evelyn lifted herself up onto her toes and reconnected their lips together, her arms wrapping around his neck. Charles immediately responded and gently wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her impossibly close. This was definitely something that Evelyn could get used to.