Chapter Nine - A Question

Charles' family home, England, 1954

With university having finished Charles had returned to his family home and Evelyn had agreed to spend some time with him there. The pair of them were practically living together. Evelyn found Charles' family home to be gorgeous and homely, she could only hope one day she owed a house that was just as beautiful. But there was one problem. Evelyn had noticed that Charles was acting very strange lately. He was keeping something from her and Evelyn couldn't figure out what to save her life. It was really starting to worry her as awful thoughts began running through her head - was something wrong with Charles' health? Was there something wrong with Raven? Was he mixed up in something bad?

Evelyn really didn't think that was the case however the thoughts began to run through her mind, she tried to avoid it, she tried to ignore it but they were always there. Charles clearly was frustrated about something but would not talk to her about it, he used to always come to her when he was frustrated. He had started snapping at her when she took his jackets before he would search the jacket like he was hunting for something ... something he didn't want her to find. He was becoming distant and whispering between himself and his sister which was fine except for the fact that they both would abruptly stop talking when she entered a room.

Evelyn had tried to subtly ask Charles what was going on but he never answered her. She had even debated using his telepathy against him to read his mind, however, the pair of them had agreed not to read one another's minds unless given permission first. So that left Evelyn with one option she was just going to outright question him on his actions. Quickly, Evelyn had learnt that one of Charles' favourite places at home was the library in where the walls were filled with books - Evelyn too had fallen in love with the room. In knowing this, Evelyn made her way through the house to the library where she hoped she would find the man she loved and would get some answers. She stopped just outside the library's door looking at the wood with uncertainty. She needed answers but ... would she like the answers she got?

Sighing but straightening her spine Evelyn walked into the library, gently closing the door behind her upon seeing Charles sitting in one of the armchairs a biology book in his lap. Reading for fun, only Charles read non-fiction for fun. For a moment, Evelyn stood and studied Charles. He was everything she had ever wanted and yet ... she feared that everything she knew was wrong. Suddenly, Charles lifted his gaze and spotted Evelyn in the room with him. His face immediately lit up with a smile upon seeing her but Evelyn did not return the smile, was it all just an act?

"Love, what's wrong?" Charles asked, instantly getting to his feet, placing his book on the table and making his way over to her. Evelyn stood completely still fighting with herself whilst Charles ran his hands from her shoulders to her hands and took a hold of them. Looking up at him Evelyn felt stupid and concerned and everything in between.

"What are you hiding? And don't say you aren't hiding anything because I know you are" Evelyn stated looking up at him with fear in her eyes, she didn't know what was wrong and it scared the hell out of her. "Over the last few months, last weeks especially, you have been acting strange and ... my mind is racing over what could be wrong so just ... just tell me because I'm starting to think some pretty worrying things." Charles' face dropped at her confession, he hadn't even noticed his behaviour changing. He had become so focused on the perfect proposal he hadn't seen the stress he was causing her but he didn't know how to tell her without ruining his proposal. His silence made Evelyn's mind race faster. Suddenly, she stepped back and began to pace in the library. "Is it your health? Are you sick?"

"No" Charles answered as he helplessly watched Evelyn panic.

"Is Raven?"

"No everyone's fine, love it-"