Chapter Two - Professor

A few months later and Charles had gained his PhD, even being asked to give a lecture upon his now world-wide known thesis. Evelyn had never been so proud as she was being sat in the auditorium with Raven beside her whilst Charles gave his thesis to a room of experts. Whilst a lot of the science went over Evelyn's head, she understood what he was speaking about – he had written an entire thesis upon himself, on her, on his sister ... on mutants.

Soon enough, Charles had finished and the Dean of the University was applauding him and announcing him as 'Professor of Genetics, Charles Francis Xavier'. He had become a Professor.

With the lecture over, everyone began to leave. Evelyn had gathered her coat and bag and immediately made her way over to her husband who was beaming. He clearly loved teaching. As she got close enough, Evelyn hugged him tightly before she pulled back and gave him a loving kiss on the lips.

"I'm so proud of you, Professor" Evelyn whispered, making Charles' smile widen. Giving her another quick kiss, Charles pulled back and grabbed his own coat so that they could leave. In true British form it was raining, which had forced Charles to bring his umbrella that the three of them squeezed under.

"So, how does it feel to be a professor?" Raven asked as they made their way out of the university and into the heart of Oxford.

"Oh, don't call me that" Charles objected before giving Evelyn a side glance – he didn't mind Evelyn calling him it but others, it was strange. "You don't get to be called professor until you actually have a teaching position."

"I know, but it suits you" Raven said before she looked around Charles to catch Evelyn's attention, "Isn't that right, Evelyn?"

"She does have a point" Evelyn agreed as she gently squeezed Charles' hand that she was holding. Charles immediately looked down towards her whilst she eyed him up. Eventually, the pair broke their gaze and concentrated upon the pavement ahead of them.

"Oh, don't say that. Do say 'Let's go have a drink'" Charles interjected, his mind already picturing The Daffodil, the pub that changed his life. He had met Evelyn there and it was still the first pub they went to in Oxford.

"Let's go have a drink" Evelyn repeated to Charles joy.

"Wonderful." The trio walked away completely unaware of the CIA agent, who had flown all the way from America to find an expert on genetic mutation, watching them disappear.

~8~

It hadn't taken long for Charles to be persuaded into the drinking challenge of the pub. Evelyn watched and cheered beside Raven whilst Charles completed the challenge. Of course, the place was full of everyone chanting "Drink!". Evelyn thought he was crazy for doing the challenge but she wasn't going to stop him or put him down for doing it. Eventually the last of the liquid went down his gullet and the place erupted in cheers. Charles carefully climbed down off the chair and was immediately consumed into a hug by Raven.

"Oh, I'm so proud of you" she said as the pair laughed. Evelyn took a seat at their table and watched the pair. She kind of wished she had had a sibling growing up.

"Thank you" Charles answered as they pulled back from the hug. Charles moved over upon seeing his wife and kissed her forehead before he looked down at the empty monstrous glass he had just finished. "I need another drink. And you need another cola." Turning to face Evelyn, Charles began to run his spare hand over her hair. Charles was always affectionate and Evelyn always loved it. "What would you like love?" The idea of alcohol suddenly turned Evelyn's stomach.

"Just some water" Evelyn answered surprising both Charles and Raven. Evelyn normally didn't have water whilst at the pub. She wasn't a big drinker but she normal had at least one drink.