Part The Seventh

Summary
In which Kyra Travers is met, and Sera goes back home with Zoie

Part The Seventh

Three days later

Sera turned off the truck and slumped back in her seat. She turned towards Tracey in the passenger seat and said, "I don't want to be here."

"Yeah, I know, but at least this is our last year I high school. After this year, we can go off to college, get far, far away from here." Tracey replied

"Yeah man... Yeah." Sera replied, giving Tracey a fist bump.

That day was a long one, and by the end, everyone at that school felt they'd deserved a break.

Zoie and Sera were walking out the front door of the school, towards their cars, when a strange sight caught Sera's eye. There was a tall, heavily muscled woman leaning against Zoie's XC90, she was wearing a black tank top, camo pants, and a beret decorated with three stars, there was also a pair of dog tags hanging from her neck.

"Hey Zo'... Who's that leaning against the XC90?" Sera asked

"What?" Zoie looked up from the black portfolio she was looking at and looked over at her car. Her eyes went insanely huge, she shoved the portfolio into Sera's hands, and darted towards the car, jumping over a wooden fence in the process.

Sera took the fence a little slower, taking care not to drop Zoie's portfolio, or her own bags, so when she made it to the XC90, Zoie's arms were wrapped around the Green Beret's waist, and said Green Beret was smiling and stroking Zoie's hair.

"Sera, Sera, Babes, Sera, this is my Cousin, this is Kyra." Zoie said.

"Nice to meet you. How long did you serve?" Sera said, looking up at Kyra. Zoie have her a quizzical look, but didn't say anything

"Three tours in Afghanistan, but I spent a couple years at Fort Bragg between these last two. How did you know I discharged?" Kyra replied

Sera smirked and said "You're still wearing the Beret, but you're not in dress, so you're respectful of the uniform, but you don't want to wear it. You're still tanned, so you're just out of the Middle East, back on home soil, and you're wearing your tags over your tank top. So, honorably discharged, I'm guessing medical reasons. You were a.... Lieutenant? Maybe Colonel?"

"Lieutenant Kyra Travers, Special Forces, White Fox Regiment." Kyra replied. Switching her attention to Zoie, she said "Smart girl you've found yourself, Snow Angel."

"Kyyyyyy!" Zoie replied indignantly

"Sorry, sorry, didn't mean to embarrass you in front of your girlfriend. Are your parents home?"

"What do you think, Ky?"

"Of course they aren't. Well, I guess I should come by. I need a place to stay anyway."

"Can Sera come?"

"If she wants, I guess. You're both Pretty much adults."

Both of them looked over at the dark-haired girl, who rolled her eyes, and said "let me text my mom."

Hey Ma, would it be alright if I went over to a friend's for a little while? I'll be back by nine.

So long as you're back by nine

Awesome, thanks mom.

Sera looked up from her phone and nodded, which caused Zoie to yelp excitedly