Chapter 2: Arduous Times

Author's Note (Part 1): I know it's been a while but I'm back and ready to continue this story :)

MUST READ AUTHOR'S NOTE PART 2!!

Chapter 2: Arduous Times

I was in my office doing paperwork for a patient who had a stomach flu. As, I review the details of the patient. I hear a knock on my office door. I look at the clock that's right next to the door. It's eleven-forty three in the morning. I don't recall having an appointment.

"Come in." I closed the folder that had the paperwork and moved it to the right hand side. I folded my hands together. The door opened and Dr. Harley walked in.

He is a handsome doctor. He's in his late thirties and has black hair that has streaks of gray hair. He has a 5 o'clock shadow and has dark hazel eyes. Since the first day of work, he is nice to me. However, my father is his patient. So, that's probably the reason why he's like that to me.

He had an impassive face and sat down in the white plush office chair in front of my desk. I sat up straight and had looked at him the same way. I already know there has to be some bad news.

"Let's get to the point shall we?" I nodded, "Your father medical insurance doesn't cover the surgery for his cancer. I'm sorry to inform you this but I want to give it to you straight." He now had the sympathy emotion on his face.

I probably looked like a lion is right in front of me. I can't believe this. The insurance company had informed me and my father that it covers half of the surgery. This is ludicrous. Why raise the hope of innocent people, if you can't keep your word. I can't even talk right now.

I slumped back on the chair and covered my eyes with my hands. I'm starting to get a headache. With shaky hands, I got the water bottle off the desk. I took a little sip and close my eyes. My throat is too tight from the news I just received. I feel like I'm about to throw up. I let a shaky sigh and controlled the tears in my eyes. I sat back up straight and inhale a deep breath and let it out.

"How is this possible?" I asked him with my restrained face. I just showed him a vulnerable side of me that other people usually don't see from me. By just looking at me, I feel that you are unlocking my deepest and darkest secrets.

I don't like that. At all...

He cleared his throat, "I got an email an hour ago notifying me that, you don't need the help at all. Since, you have two family members, who are capable of paying for the surgery."

I balled my fist and let out a snide laugh, "I don't know about one of the family members having a 'good paid job'. So, a crack whore mother gets paid well. That's really... shocking." You could hear the sarcasm through my clenched teeth.

Dr. Harley looked at me with bewilderment in his eyes. "Um... I-um..."

I looked at him with coldhearted eyes, "If you excused me, I'm going to have an early lunch break."

I got up from my chair and took off my lab coat and hanged it up on the hanger. I was going to grab my bag also when a hand was placed on my upper left arm. I looked straight ahead. I heard him exhale a long sigh and let go of me. I didn't even move.

"Katherine, I don't know what you've been through in life. But think before you do anything... foolish." He told me with his calmed voice.

I was anything but calm. Deep inside, I wanted to run away from everything and everyone and just cry until I go to sleep. I turned my head to the side and looked down.

"Dr. Harley, you are NOT my shrink. I'm a big girl, I'm responsible and I always think before taking action," I bended down and grabbed my bag and turned around and I was going to walk around him but I stopped beside him.