| four |

// Dan //

My thoughts are all over the place as I walk back to my dorm, feeling completely defeated. I run into a good ten fucking people on my way, but I'm too out of my mind to apologize. I have never ever been stood up by a girl before, and I don't think I've felt this small since I arrived at this university for the first time a year and some ago.

It wasn't even the chick herself, because I could get most of the girls on campus into bed without a date beforehand, it's the idea of being rejected. Dan Howell does not get rejected, at least he hasn't until tonight. I've never suffered a bigger blow to my ego at this school, and I feel like an absolute idiot. It's a very good thing that none of my friends know about this, or they would be throwing me shit like there's no tomorrow.

I walk back to my dorm quickly, keeping my head down. I'm not in the mood to do anything right now, and God knows that if I run into any of my friends tonight they'll drag me off to whatever party is closest. I'd rather just drink the minimal amount of alcohol that I have stored in my room and spend the rest of the night wondering what the hell I did wrong. I've been told that I have above average looks and a charming personality, so what was it? The fact that the only girl who's ever stood me up is the same one who knew nothing of my social status is making me feel slightly uneasy. Is my popularity really the only thing that gets me dates? The only reason that people like me?

Oh fuck it, I think, turning around and heading in the direction of Phil's dorm. I need to get completely wasted if I'm going to silence my thoughts tonight.

I keep my head hung, I'm embarrassed despite the fact that no one knows what happened aside from the girl and I. What was her name? Amy?

I'm just about to turn the corner to Phil's when I bump into someone, causing them to fall over and loose hold of at least seven bags.

"Hey, watch where you're going!"

I push my hood out of my face and reach down to help the person up.

"I'm sorry, my ba-"

You're kidding me. You're actually fucking kidding me right now.

"Oh, Dan. Hi."

I groan, it's too late to draw my hand back, so I help her up anyway, but make no move to pick her bags off of the floor. Fuck that.

We stare at each other for a few seconds, unblinking, until she brings her hands up to her face and sighs.

"Dan, I'm sorry. I-"

I can feel the embarrassment seeping back into my system. She looks so awkward, and it's my fault. She's pitying me. I cut her off, suddenly feeling the need to prove myself.

"No, no, it's fine. But listen,"

I rack my brain, trying to think of something to do.

"My mates and I are going to a party tonight, maybe you could come along."

My voice is laced with hope, and I pray that she can't tell. I don't want her to think that I'm obsessed with getting a date from her, because I'm not at all. Like I said, it's not even the girl herself; it's the embarrassment that came with being stood up by her. I need to make it go away.

"Uh, I'm not sure, I have a lot of unpacking to do."

She says, looking over at Blondie, who I hadn't even noticed standing beside her until now. She smiles at her and mouths 'go ahead'.

"You could come too?"

I ask, turning to the other girl. Maybe I could set her up with Phil or Michael. Calum like blondes, I think.