Chapter Ten

It's June. The longer days and the over-emotional students make it clear that the end of the school year is near. Everyone's nervous for their finals, except for Castiel. He's good at remembering things and for him finals are just a challenge for his memory.

The sun burns on Castiel's skin. It's lunchtime and all the benches outside are filled with students. But Cas doesn't care about them, he just stares at the boy standing in front of him.

Dean and Cas have been spending a lot of time together lately. They talk, text, and make out a lot.

"I finally watched 'Thor' last night." Castiel tells him.

"Did you like it?" Dean asks.

"It was amazing. And Loki is cute." he confesses and he grins.

"Dude, he's a murderer."

"He's still cute."

"No, he's not."

"Stop pretending to be straight. Or are you just jealous?" Cas smiles as he raises a brow.

"I'll go for the second option." Dean gives up.

The two boys end up staring at each other without saying word. The tension rises with every second that passes by. Dean grabs Castiel's wrist and looks around. Nobody seems to be looking, so he pulls Cas into the alley between the two school buildings. Before Dean gets the chance to do anything, Cas pushes him against the wall. Castiel smirks and Dean nearly starts blushing. The boy looks down, but then Castiel places his hand on Dean's neck. Not soon after, Dean can feel the comfortable feeling of Cas' lips touching his cheek. As Dean presses his fingers onto Castiel's shoulder, their lips collide. They kiss a lot, but the feeling is still overwhelming.

Caught up in the kiss, they don't hear the footsteps coming their way. But then a giggle pierces their ears and they both get pulled back into reality as if a bomb just exploded. The two guys step away from each other and their eyes catch the source immediately.

Caleb has his arms wrapped around a girl. Their facial expressions reveal what they must be thinking. They're laughing, as if they're surprised but they just find it hilarious.

"Wow." Caleb is not able to contain his laughter.

"So you're gay?" the girl asks Dean while holding her hand in front of her mouth.

"I swear, if you tell anyone about this, I will-" Dean sounds furious, his voice shakes and he glances at Cas with panic in his eyes.

"You'll what? You'll get your boyfriend to punch me again?" he chuckles, he's enjoying this way too much.

Dean steps towards Caleb, but Cas holds him back, he's surprisingly strong.

"This is messed up man, you're messed up." Dean spits with tears in his eyes. Then he turns around and starts walking back towards the school building, leaving Cas behind. Castiel is astonished by the fact that Dean is just willing to make him deal with this by himself. He suddenly regrets everything. He doesn't really care about people finding out anymore. But the fact that Dean just left makes him feel miserable. He wishes he could take back every single word he said to Dean and every moment he spent with him as he stands here in the alley in front of the two other teenagers.

"Ouch." Caleb just keeps going on, but he doesn't realize that Cas couldn't care less about him in this moment. He hears him talk, but his mind is focused on Dean. He just can't believe it. He can feel the tears burning, but he tries to hold them back. The bell rings but Cas isn't planning on going to his next class.

"See you later, faggot." Caleb takes off, abandoning Castiel in the alley.

He drops himself onto the ground as the tears start rolling down his cheek.

---

The past weekend has been terrible. They both skipped their last classes on Friday. When Cas came home that afternoon, he just locked himself up in his room. When he stopped  crying, he grabbed his notebook and wrote down twice as much as he would have written on a normal day. Then he just hid under the sheets of his comforting bed. After a few hours of just laying there and over thinking everything, he heard a knock on his door. His father walked in, asking if he was alright. Chuck remembered when Cas barely left his room a couple of years ago. It was really bad, Castiel was trapped in his own mind. He sent Cas to therapy and things have been going better since. Of course, when Cas locked himself up in his room on Friday night, Chuck was worried. So Castiel told him he just felt a bit ill.

On Sunday afternoon, Cas decides he's had enough of this shit. He pauses his music and grabs the phone. He contemplates whether he should text or call Dean. Castiel goes for the second option, even though he hates calling people.

The phone rings and it takes Dean only a few seconds to pick it up.

"Cas." His voice is soft.

" Dean," Cas replies, gather courage for what he's going to say next. "We need to talk."

"I know, things got a bit crazy last Friday." Dean sounds like he's forcing a smile.

"We're done." Castiel's voice breaks. He can't believe he actually said it.

"What? Cas, if this is about Friday... Caleb and his girlfriend are horrible, don't mind them! Don't mind the people at our school, they don't matter! And the year's nearly over. We can do this, together!" Dean panics, not realizing what Cas just said. He keeps rambling as his mind races.

"No. It's not about them. It's about you. You left me alone, literally. I knew you would eventually, I should've seen this coming. You're an asshole, and I'm even worse than that. This isn't going to work out, I'm sorry Dean." With a dry throat and a broken heart, Castiel puts down his phone.

Author's note: I'm sorry this took a while, but if you're still reading this, thank you for being so patient. I had a lot of ideas and I wrote many versions of this chapter. This will probably be the last one, but maybe I'll write an epilogue if anyone's interested. I feel like perhaps this story isn't really over yet, but I can't continue this much longer since I'm also writing a fiction story and I want to focus on that. This is getting long, but I want to thank you all for reading my story, when I started this I was a bit scared to upload my writing, and I still can't believe people are actually reading this. You're all awesome.