Adapting

Summary: The Indoraptor chase in the Lockwood State through Claire's POV. How she felt, what ran through her mind.

*********

A MAJOR SPOILER FROM THE BOOK "THE EVOLUTION OF CLAIRE" IS A BIG PART OF THE FOLLOWING ONE SHOT.

*********

Claws and teeth had become her worst nightmare. There was a time in her life, back when she was young, when Claire Dearing thought of herself as a fierce and fearless young woman. She was not scared of anything; she was confident and capable of dreaming big, of fighting for what she wanted. She would stand tall and she wouldn't allow anyone to tell her she couldn't do something, she could do whatever she set her mind on. The fact that she had started as an intern and become the second in command at a multimillion dinosaur amusement park was just a small fraction of her testimony.

That time when she believed herself to be made of steel was long gone. Her brain playing inside her head the most tragic event of her life over and over again as she ran through the Lockwood manor along with Owen and that little girl. The three of them trying to escape the insisting pray instincts of Dr. Wu's latest creation.

This was the third time she was doing this, and it never got easier. It was still as terrifying and as emotionally and physically exhausting as the first time. That damn clicking the Indoraptor tapped with his claw against the wooden floor sending shocks of electricity up her spine to her brain. It was the sound she hated the most, since the first time she had ever heard it, it haunted her mind. To her, it was the equivalent to a door screeching in the middle of the night triggering the darkest of nightmares in a kid's mind.

It didn't show, but she couldn't keep her eyes away from Owen. She had her reason. Living this terrifying moment beside him was something she was grateful for, but at the same time she wished he weren't in this situation.

How did she manage to drag him to this twice already? She had been the one to ask him to come with her and help her look for her nephews. What was she thinking when she begged him to join her out there with a hybrid loose? And now, he didn't want to go back to the island and she had guilt-tripped him into joining her. In all fairness, she never thought it would end up this way. Now here he was, crawling around trying to escape yet another predator. It was all her fault, she had lived the past fourteen years of her life with a heavy sense of guilt and here she was fearing to add his life into the countless ones on her list, but Owen's would belong right on the top, with his right below.

Claire was a smart woman, she learned from her mistakes. She thought before reacting, it was a good thing she was a fast thinker. She had learned to adapt. She was terrified of the beast hunting them, but she wasn't scared of confronting it. All her senses were on alert, hearing carefully where the predator would step, if his breathing could be captured by human ear.

She had to remain calmed, even if her whole body was threatening to collapse on her, even if it took for her to demand her legs to move around when they were tired and shaking under her pants.

The sound of glass breaking and the heavy weight of that thick log against them brought her back to the worst night of her life. That afternoon she had spent running from the Indominus Rex didn't even compare to the life altering encounter she had with the first raptor ever in Jurassic World. She never talked about it, she couldn't without breaking down. Not even to Owen even when it was ironic how she had gone from almost being killed by a raptor and have the guy she liked die in her arms after being lethally injured by one, to falling head over heels with the one man who had proven raptors could follow orders.