a new leaf

Tom went to bed that night with a lingering thought that haunted his mind. He tossed and turned, but every position felt like he was lying on a pile of cinder blocks. He even jerked off, which usually worked like an overdose of NyQuil, but even that couldn't curb his restlessness. Glancing at his clock, he groaned. It was only ten past eleven.

A final decision crossed his tired mind. Tom stumbled from his bed and looked to his window. This was the last time.

After throwing some candies Tom kept at his desk at the window of his neighbor's house, Tord opened it up. Tom saw him pushing away an envelope with a ghost of a smile. Tord greeted him is his usual way, making a snide remark about the dark circles under Tom's eyes.

"What's up, Pussy Bitch? Decided to come out and finally suck my dick?"

When Tord didn't get the reaction he wanted, he made another comment.

"Come on, take the dildo out of your ass and give me something," Tord said, laughing. The smile faltered when he saw how serious Tom looked. Tord sunk a little, preparing to duck if Tom produced a glock from the shadows.

"I've had enough," Tom finally spoke.

Tord backed away from the window. That's exactly what a school shooter would say.

"It was just a joke," Tord mumbled.

Tom sighed. "I can't do this anymore, Tord. You've brought nothing but toxicity into my life."

For the first time, Tord was rendered speechless. His hate for Tom suddenly vanished, replaced by an emotion that made his head throb. He had respect for Tom.

"I thought we had this thing going," Tord said.

"We both need to move on. This whole... thing is so petty. It's ruining our lives, Tord."

Tord shook his head. "This is a joke, right? Where's the camera? God, please tell me this is a stupid joke meant to get me to say something positive about your dumb ass."

"I hate this stupid war. I'm done. When I pull down my shades, that'll be the last you see of me."

"So..." Tord was dumbfounded by this unexpected maturity. "That's it, then. What about our plans?"

"I have a life to live," Tom said. "There're things I want to do. There's a person that I want to be. Killing myself would be submitting to the demons that want me gone. I need to grow up, and you do, too."

Tord vigorously shook his head. "It's just an act. You can't look me in the eyes and say you don't want me and yourself dead."

Tom looked him in those pale gray eyes. Before, he would've seen his own hate for himself reflected in them. He would've looked away and forced a gag. But he didn't feel anything.

"There is no meaning of life. It's what you make of it, what you choose to do with your life that gives it its own personal meaning. We shouldn't take the gift of it for granted."

Tord blinked. He was serious. "Have a good life, then, Tom."

"You too, Tord."

Tom shut the window and pulled down the shades.