The Darkness Within

Shadow pov

I felt ok when I was with Mister Bruce, I knew he wouldn't hurt me. So when it was just the two of us in the tower I didn't hesitate to agree to help him. I follow him to his room, strange we normally go to his lab. It didn't bother me so I just follow behind as I am trained to do. When we reach his room I wait for him to open the door and usher me inside. After the door is closed he directs me to his bed and we both take a seat on the plain cream color comforter.

"So Shadow, you know how when you are having a hard time and need to talk you come to me when Loki isn't around?"

This question confused me, why on earth would he ask this?

"Well of course Mister Bruce and it's so appreciated."

He gave me an appreciative yet tired smile, was he ok?

"No problem, but now I was wondering if you would take a moment and do the same for me."

Oh! Now I understand! I straighten my posture even more and give him all my attention, he gives a light chuckle at my antics.

"Most certainly Mister Bruce! But what could possibly be bothering you that you would talk to me and not one of your teammates?"

He sighed and leaned against his headboard.

"Well you see they would all just tell me I must keep calm, or in control, plus they've heard me talk so much about him."

He rubs his eyes and leans up to look at me again, and I give him a nod to say continue.

"Well, I'm sure you've been told about the big guy?"

I nod.

"Well it's just recently since you came I've felt really happy, helping protect you has made me feel like a person again. So on our last mission when I had to become the hulk and see everyone's fear again, I couldn't stop the pain I felt. Just the thought of seeing you scared of me just because I can't stay in control of him. I just want one person to not see me as a monster!"

He was crying now and his words hit me in the core. As he was taking some deep breaths I was contemplating if I should tell him. To steal his fears of my outlook on him, maybe he won't feel so alone. But I can't, I said I would not transform again, I can't go through that again. But I want to trust Mister Bruce wouldn't do that since he understands. I was shaken from my thought when I heard Mister Bruce clear his throat.

"Are you ok Shadow? Did I say too much?"

I shake my head and look at him with apologetic eyes.

"No, I was just thinking. There's um, something I want to show you."

He looks at me with curious eyes, still red and glistening. I get off the bed and stand to face him. I looked away and worried my lip as I ponder if I really should do this.