Chapter One

Beyond the rolling emerald hills, just over the forested landscape, a battle was raging. A battle of which she surely believed she should be a part of. It was her duty as Grand Duchess of her nation to ensure the protection of her homeland, and instead of fighting alongside her people she was here, sitting in the short grass and allowing her feet to dangle off the edge of the cliffside. Her eyes blankly watched the dark smoke rise into the sky and mix with the clouds above her. The grass crunched beneath a pair of booted feet that stopped upon nearing where she sat.

"I knew I'd find you here."

    The young woman's eyebrows flew up as her head twisted around, her dark eyes falling upon the man who moved through the grass, a knowing smile spreading across his face.

    "Liam!"

In a flash, the woman leapt up from her place on the ground and launched herself towards him, her arms outstretched as she drew him into a tight embrace.

    "Heavens, Anona!" Liam gasped between short laughs, "Don't strangle me now."

She only smiled as she pulled away, her chest beginning to swell with relief and happiness. Placing her hands on her hips, Anona took another step back and brought a finger up to her chin, looking the man up and down. His attire was composed of a dark, navy blue uniform that had once seen the better light of day, semi-worn clay-colored boots, golden tassels that wrapped around the waist of his coat, and a navy hat that lay upon his tousled mass of raven hair.

    "How are they treating you out there?" she asked, waving him along as she moved back to her spot, gracefully placing herself in the grass.

Liam shrugged his shoulders, "They treat me just like everyone else." he said, joining her side.

    "Are you all getting enough food?"

His nose crinkled.

    "I wouldn't say it's the finest cuisine, nor the most ideal, but we're well fed for the most part."

Anona nodded with a faint hum, imagining what it was like to be out there; out on the front, out in battle. She heard him release a slow sigh, a gentle breeze twirling between them as he reached up, removing the cap from his head. Twisting the blue fabric in his hands, he stared at the gray-colored sky.

    "How is everything on your end?" Liam said, keeping his eyes held high, "Mum said you were faring quite well. That's good."

She heaved a heavy breath, her shoulders slumping forward as she picked at the grass. During the two years their country had been at war, Anona had been trained to serve as a military nurse and while she held an undeniable skill, her desires to aid in the war effort rested elsewhere. Of course, could she ever fulfill that desire of hers? Likely not.

In her silence, Liam turned away from the sky and met the sight of his younger sister, a small frown tugging on the corners of her lips as she focused her gaze on the small patch of grass she held in her hands.

    "Anona?" he said, tilting his head, "Is everything faring well?"

Liam watched as she picked up her head, her brows furrowing as her gaze fell upon the glistening silver badge that adorned the left side of his coat, a beautiful piece of precious metal made up of intricate swirls and braids; a reflection of his service in the Norwinian military.

    "Everything is running smoothly in the hospitals." she sighed, "But of course, that's because we only get those who are sick or only injured to the point in which we can send them right back to the front." she shook her head, lifting her eyes to his face, "I know I'm doing something important but...to me, it's not fulfilling."