The Attempt

Trigger warning: Suicide, self harm, and bullying are big parts of this chapter. If it makes you uncomfortable, feel free to skip it

-<~>-

Nico sat on his bed silently. Will had left on a quest two days ago with a Hecate camper named Katrina and a Demeter camper named Jake. They promised that they'd Iris message occasionally but the quest had been too busy for Will to have any time.

Tears started to drip from Nico's eyes. He just wanted his sunshine to hurry up and come back. Ever since Will left, people had been more openly rude to Nico. Truth was, people wouldn't dare say bad things to the son of Hades while his boyfriend was at camp but now, since he wasn't at camp, they took advantage of the past few days.

Nico's eyes fell on his open desk drawer where notes from Drew and a few of her friends laid. Yellow sticky notes and full sheets of paper, listing all the reasons Nico should have killed himself in their opinions.

Nico walked over to the drawer and he reread through the notes for the sixth time that day. Usually he would have ignored them but he was starting to believe that maybe he was better off dead.

The son of Hades walked into his bathroom and went through the drawers, grabbing a knife and scissors from one. He sat in the corner of the room, silently crying while slitting his wrists with the blades.

He knew that no one would care. That he would be better off gone. Nico continued to take the blades against his skin until there was blood dripping onto the bathroom floor.

He let out multiple sobs and rolled his sleeves down, wrists stinging. He quickly wiped his eyes and walked out of his cabin. Once he got in the sun, Nico poured out a waterbottle onto the ground and threw a drachma into the mist.

"Will Solace, gods know where," he said to the rainbow so his message would start. The rainbow expanded and Nico saw Will, sitting with the other two, laughing while eating ramen noodles.

Nico just stood there, watching Will enjoy his food. At least the son of Apollo had friends.

After about three minutes, Will turned and noticed the Iris message.

"Neeks!" He exclaimed. "You scared me, you haven't called in awhile."

"Yeah, sorry..." Nico said, putting a hand on the back of his neck and looking down.

"Nico, you look upset. Is something wrong?" Will asked and Nico paused for a minute.

"No, nothing is wrong. Just... When are you coming back to camp?" Nico asked.

"Well we still have quite a while on the quest but we forgot a few supplies so we're actually on our way back right now," Will said and Nico sighed in relief.

Nico cut the message's connection without saying goodbye and walked into his cabin, starting to sob again. He walked to his closet and pulled out a knife.

He stared at the knife, flipping it around in his hands, turning it over multiple times. The dim cabin lights reflected off of the blade's surface. Nico began to sob harder, pressing the tip of the blade against his forehead.

He sat on his bed with the tip of the knife pressed against his forehead for multiple minutes before shaking his head and bringing it down to his stomach.

The son of Hades placed the tip of the knife right above his belly button and drew in a deep breath. He began to slowly drive the knife into him but quickly pulled it away from his stomach, small beads of blood dripping from where it had just barely gone into his skin.

Nico stared at the blood, feeling numb and nauseous. There was a slit in his shirt where he had cut through for it to meet his skin.

Nico swallowed, putting the knife away in his closet. He walked out of his cabin and over to a few Apollo campers who were standing by the supplies.

"Hey guys," Nico said as he walked over. They all waved and said hi, smiling.

"Need anything?" One of the campers asked, beckoning to the crate of miscellaneous weaponry.

"I actually do," Nico said before asking, "do you have any ropes?"

"Rope?" The second camper asked, "what do you need rope for?"

"Oh I'm just going to try and climb one of the taller trees and I need a harness," Nico quickly lied.

They believed him.

The first camper went through the crate and pulled out a rope from the bottom, "be careful not to get hurt."

Nico nodded and quickly walked back to his cabin. He pulled a chair to the middle of the room and stood on it, tying the rope to one of the rafters. He made a noose on the other end of the rope.

The son of Hades looked out of his window and thought he saw Will but she shook his head, knowing that it couldn't be his boyfriend that he saw.

Nico put his head through the noose, tightening it around his neck. He took in a long breath and kicked the chair out from under his feet.

Nico hung there, it getting more difficult for him to breathe with every breath he let out. Eventually, he couldn't breathe at all. The rope rubbed uncomfortably against his neck and he slowly began to close his eyes when he heard his cabin door open.

"Hey Neeks, I'm ba-" he heard his boyfriend's voice. "Nico?!"

Nico didn't dare open his eyes, scared of getting judgement from Will. He just hoped that he would pass out and die quickly.

"Nico! Nico, don't leave me!" Will yelled, running over to Nico, leaving the cabin door open.

Hearing Will's yell, Annabeth quickly walked by and saw what was happening. She ran in and handed Will her dagger, "cut the ropes and make sure to catch him"

Nico felt Will's hands tug on the rope around his neck and he felt the cold metal of the knife against him as Will cut the rope around his boyfriend's neck.

Nico fell over and Will quickly caught him, sitting on the ground with the son of Hades laying across his lap.

"Nico..." Will quietly sobbed, looking at the bruises around the son of Hades' neck.

Nico drew in large breaths and slowly opened his eyes. Annabeth stood in the corner, looking obviously dumbfounded that Nico would do such a thing. He looked up at his boyfriend, who pulled him into a tight hug.

"Don't scare me again..." Will whispered into Nico's ear, sobbing.

Nico began to cry too, "I'm sorry..."

"Don't be sorry," Will said, wiping his boyfriend's tears away with a thumb and kissing his cheek. "Just please don't do it again..."

Nico nodded and Will began to roll up his sleeves. Nico heard his boyfriend's breath hitch when he saw the bloody cuts on his wrist.

Will pulled Nico into another tight hug, "I'm here now... You don't have to cry anymore... I'm here."

Nico smiled for the first time since Will had left on his quest.