Chapter 4

The fourth time his family life changed was when his "parents" dropped him off at Camp Campbell for the summer.

He wasn't surprised he ended up at this fucking nightmare of a camp in the slightest.

Camp Campbell was where unwanted kids were dumped and his parents clearly didn't want anything to do with him. They were always too busy hanging out with their rich friends all over this villainous world when they weren't bragging to said friends about how "perfect" they were at parenthood to ever care about him. That's how it had always been after all. It was why he was so excited to be here and far away from them. At first.

He was a lot less pleased when he met the counselors.

Gwen, though he'll never admit it, is pretty cool. She's bitter, incredibly easy to mess with, treats him like an adult (which is basically what he is at this point), and actually acknowledges how crappy this planet is. He could certainly get used to her. David, however, is a whole different story.

The first time Max saw the annoying fucker was when he greeted him with a wave and a smile that perfectly mirrored the bullshit ones his parents gave his adoption officiator, giving Max his name and promising him a wonderful time there before spouting a quick "Campe Diem" as Max quickly power-walked away from the situation as fast as his tiny little legs could carry him. God, this guy really wanted Max to buy his act, didn't he?

He decided that he hated everything about this godforsaken hellhole, especially David, with the intensity of a thousand suns and that he was going to spend every moment of his time there thinking up schemes to escape when he realized that David spit out his dumbass catchphrase ("Campe Diem") in the same sickeningly perky tone that Rose always spat out her stupid "Carpe Diem" line and no attempt from David to prove to Max that he actually gave a crap and that he could have a good time at camp could ever change Max's mind.

There's way no fucking way he was gonna buy into that bullshit rhetoric anymore.