VIII : Stalker

Biology had never been this boring.

Seriously, the teacher was going on about stuff you had known since forever and you couldn't focus on her even if you tried your very best. So, you decided to look out the window, finding it ten times more interesting than the class.

Outside looked pretty gloomy, if you had to be honest. The sky was a dark grey, the ground still wet from the heavy rain that poured that morning. The contrast from the class lights and outside made it seem like it was night or early morning.

Your eyes scanned over the parking lot (what an amazing view, you'd give it a 10 out of 10) until they locked onto a familiar figure, making your breath hitch and your entire body tense up.

Out there, a familiar man with nearly no hair and piercing grey eyes stared at you. His lips cracked into the most feral smile you had ever seen. You turned your head away from the sight before you let out a scream, tapping Mutsuki and Shirazu on the shoulder. It's a good thing the teacher made you sit right behind them for this class.

The two turned around, soon growing worried when they noticed how alarmed you looked. "What's wrong?" Mutsuki whispered, looking over at your desk, searching for a hint.

"He's out there, he sees us." You said, nodding at the window. You hated the pronoun game, but it's not like they wouldn't know who you were talking about.

As soon as they saw who you were talking about, they quickly avoided the ghoul's gaze, which was still locked on you (you could actually feel it).

"What do we do?" Tooru asked. "Is he going to get in?"

"The secretary wouldn't let him inside unless he knows a student here." Ginshi informed. "Don't think he knows who (Y/N) is. Well, not their name, anyways."

"It's still dangerous." You insisted. "He's still looking at me. Should we call Sassan?"

"They won't let us out--"

"Mutsuki, Shirazu, (L/N). Am I going to have to separate you three again?" The teacher sassily asked.

"Ma'am, it's because--"

"No excuses, (L/N)." She cut off, waving her finger from left to right.

"No, it's matters regarding the C-" Mutsuki was also interrupted.

"Mutsuki, go sit on the desk over there." She said in a strict tone, point at a desk on the other side of class. "Shirazu, in front here." She placed her hand on the desk right in front of her, leaving you at the window, still in the stalker's view. Great.

Oh, how you love biology.

"Guys, let's go eat somewhere quieter." You proposed. The four quinxes agreed to your idea and you all ended up eating near the lockers instead of the crowded cafeteria.

Once you had settled down with your food, you immediately took out your phone to contact Haise. Everyone had already been informed of this morning's accident during fitness class, it was just a matter of telling your mentor.

"Hello?" Haise's soft voice passed through your phone's speaker and suddenly, a small portion of your anxiety was lifted off your shoulders. It had the same effect as your parents telling you things were going to be okay. That man was like a mother figure now.

"The ghoul that killed (Y/N)'s parents is stalking them!" Saiko blurted out. So much for detailed explanations. "They saw him this morning, what do we do?!"

"...What?" The ghoul investigator asked. Confusion was obvious in his voice.

"You heard her." You piped up. "I saw him. He knows I'm here but I don't know what he's planning. It's nerve-wracking, I can't concentrate in class."

Sasaki didn't answer for a small while, most likely deep in thought. Things seemed to be moving incredibly fast. "You haven't made it obvious that you're getting help, have you?" He finally asked.

"I mean, he knows I saw him but I don't think he knows anything else." You hesitantly said. What's he thinking about?

"We could catch him tonight, if you're alright with it."

"Catch him right now for all I care!" You exclaimed. "I want the bastard dead!"

"No, (Y/N), I mean... We can get him tonight if you give me your consent to be part of the mission." Oh dear, you think you have an idea of where he's going with this... "We need a bait."

"Are you nuts?!" Shirazu butted in. "We haven't been quinxes for more than a month and you're already willing to kill us?!"

"(Y/N) won't die." Haise assured. "If they're the one this ghoul is looking for, it's only logical that they're the one we use as bait. I don't want to do this any more than you do."

"What am I going to do during?" Kuki asked calmly.

"The rest of the quinxes are to stay out of the whole thing. We'll have the Suzuya squad enter the building when the time comes." Haise answered. Urie frowned at the mention that he was going to do nothing. He crossed his arms and straightened up but before he could interject, Mutsuki spoke up.

"'When the time comes'? What if that's too late? Surely you're not actually considering sacrificing (Y/N) for one  ghoul!" He argued, concerned.

"I'm alright with it!" You cut off, catching your four teammates off-guard. A chorus of 'what?!' rang out through the hallways. "I'll be bait, but I don't want to die. And if I do, rest assured that I'll haunt the hell out of you, Sasaki."

"Is that clear for everyone?" Haise asked, earning nods which remained unknown on his part.

"Yeah." You vocally answered before checking the time. "Crap, the bell's gonna ring soon." You informed. "And I wasted almost all my minutes on my phone." You added under your breath.

"I need to go contact the Suzuya squad and talk with the school board. If any of you come into contact with Him, don't act suspicious or nervous. If he catches wind of the operation, it's all going to be for naught."

"Gotcha, bye!" You ended the call simultaneously with the sound of the bell, signaling students to head for their next class. The five of you separated to get to your respective lockers before the huge wave of rushing students hit and headed to your fourth period.

You gave Urie and Shirazu determined looks as you walked into the math class you shared with them, a silent attempt to comfort them on what was coming later on today.

As the rest of the students filed through the class, the intercom rang.

"All para-scholar activities are cancelled for today. All students and personnel must leave the school by no later than 4 PM."