XVII : Sound the Alarm

You quickly washed your hands and hurried out of the bathroom, trying your best to make it back to your squad before the bell rang. (Which was nearly impossible, but you're a Quinx, so...)

Apparently, you weren't looking at where you were going since you bumped into someone. The person squeaked and fell down while you fought to keep your balance. After winning your fight with gravity, you looked down at them. "I'm sorry, I was-"

"Oh, (Y/N)!" Roma smiled brightly. "Fancy seeing you here!" She quickly got up and stood in front of you.

"You too, Roma, but I need to go see my friends." You excused yourself before attempting to walk past her.

"Aw come on, you're with them 24/7! I wanna spend some time with you, too." She pouted before holding your wrist to keep you in place. "Just a little chat. Please?"

The way she was insisting made you more nervous than you should be. You thickly swallowed, trying to find a way to tell her that you don't want to be around her unless absolutely necessary.

"I-I..." Fuck, you stuttered. "I'm sorry, I told Tooru I'd explain some of the biology we're s-studying..." You muttered. Could you be any more obvious on the fact that you're lying?

Roma's expression quickly turned into one of hurt as her grip on your wrist tightened. You squirmed at the uncomfortable feeling, quietly asking her to let you go. When she refused to budge, you decided to turn to a more direct approach.

"I'm really sorry, Roma, but I can't talk to you right now." You firmly said (or said as firmly as you could at the moment) while tugging at your wrist in an attempt to free it from her grasp. It was futile. She was obviously stronger than she let on, after all.

"I can't let you!" She sang out, tugging you towards her and letting you crash into the wall behind her. "Can't I have a nice conversation with my friend?" She teased, sauntering her way towards you while you tried to get up. 'Tried' being the key word here.

"Look at you." She sighed. "You're terrified. It's delicious." Okay, that's really creepy. You needed to get out of here, and quick.

The brunette licked her lips as she watched you squirm. "Time to finish this once and for all." She muttered as you finally got the adrenaline you needed to get back up. Behind her, four large appendages grew out of her back, causing you to panic. She's going to attack you in a school full of innocent people. You knew she wouldn't stop after you're dead. She'd kill everyone.

Looking for anything that could help you right now, you spotted the fire alarm trigger a few inches away from you. It wouldn't help you directly, but it would save the majority of the school. Before she could stop you, you quickly tugged on it, cringing when the shrill sound of the alarm rang through your ears. It also served as a distraction, which you used to your advantage. While Roma covered her ears, you kicked her back, focusing on unleashing your own kagune without her knowing.

You were ready to fight to the death if needed.

The quinxes have been standing out in the cold for over ten minutes now.

"Alright, this isn't a practice anymore." Shirazu muttered while he rubbed his arms in an attempt to bring him more heat. "I don't know what's going on in there but if it means school's over then I'm happy."

"It doesn't appear like a fire." Tooru noted. "But I don't understand why the firemen haven't come to check on us yet. It's weird."

"Maybe it's an invisible fire!" Saiko suggested. "It can't be impossible, considering (Y/N)'s kagune is also invisible!"

"Transparent. There's a difference." Tooru informed before abruptly stopping. His expression shifted to a mortified one, scaring the entire squad.

"What's wrong?" Ginshi asked.

Tooru seemed to search for his words but Kuki seemed to have understood the issue as well. "Has anyone seen (Y/N)? Or heard of them?"

Everyone froze up.

"They went to the bathroom earlier." Ginshi reminded, as stiff as a board while he glanced back at the school, trying to recall if he saw you exit the building along with everyone else.

"We know that, but did they come out of the school?" Saiko asked. "I didn't see them." She started jumping, trying to spot your familiar face or head of (h/c) hair in the crowd. "I still don't see them."

"I-I'll go tell an adult!" Mutsuki stammered, finally jumping into action and running through the crowd to find the nearest teacher or personnel member.

"What if they're the one who triggered the alarm?" Shirazu asked. "Oh fuck, Haise's gonna kill us if anything happens to them."

"I'm sure they're fine," Saiko shakily said, trying to reassure herself. "They can get out of a burning building no problem, they're a quinx."

"But what if it's not a fire?" Ginshi asked, referring to Tooru's previous remark.

"What are you trying to get at?" Urie asked in an abnormally calm voice. If he remained calm, then everything would be fine, right? You'll be fine. Maybe it's all just some kind of false alarm. Yeah, that's what it is. You'll get out of there and everything'll be fine. Every five seconds, the purple haired quinx would glance back at the building, hoping you'd come out of it smiling and looking for them-- for him. It hasn't happened yet.

"I don't know!" Ginshi yelled back at him, gripping at his hair as panic shot through him. "Damn it, when's Mutsuki gonna come back with that adult?"

"They're going to be fine, guys." Saiko piped up, mostly trying to calm Shirazu. "They're really strong! They can take on anything!"

"What if it's the Owl?!" The crocs mascot screeched, causing Saiko to jump three feet in the air.

"It's not the Owl." Urie growled. "It's nothing. They're just messing with us." ...But if it was nothing, why was he so tempted to go in there and help you out?

It's nothing, it must just be his imagination, his brain recalling the last time he's been standing outside the building while you were in without him.

It's nothing.