eight {Peter's POV}

Feeling like I could sleep for two days straight, I sat down at my desk in Spanish class while I waited for the quiz to start. Arya sat down in front of me and Skye to my left. Arya turned around in her chair. "You look like crap," she stated. 

I scoffed. "Good morning to you too," I sighed. 

She put her hair in a ponytail. "If I fail this quiz, I can say goodbye to passing this year."

"I'm sure you'll be fine. You're the only one in this class who can actually speak Spanish without having to think for a full minute," I replied. 

She chuckled and rolled her eyes. "That's because of Pepper." 

I let out a raspy cough and Arya looked at me with slight worry in her eyes. I had barely slept because of the smoke inhalation that had caused me to nearly cough my lungs out all night. "You okay?" she asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine." 

Ned came in and plopped down on the seat to my right. "Guys, is it just me or is this quiz bigger than ever?" he ranted. 

"No, it's not you. It's gigantic," Skye replied. 

"Okay, good," Ned said. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, settle down and let's get this quiz started." The teacher entered the room, dumped his bag on the desk and took out the large envelope that contained our tests. 

Arya sent me, Skye, and Ned a thumbs-up before turning back to the front of the class. 

My head felt like it was filled with cotton as I read the questions, going over them and hoping that I could somewhat understand what it was asking me to do. I shook my head, trying to focus my eyes. 

"Pete?" I heard Arya whisper and I turned my head to look at her. "You okay?"

"Keep it down, everyone," the teacher called. 

I sent Arya a nod before I turned back to the quiz. I scribbled down whatever I thought it was they wanted me to write down and as soon as I filled in the final answer, I got up, handed in my quiz, and left the classroom, gladly inhaling the fresh air. 

I heard the door open and close behind me and saw Arya stepping out of the classroom. "Are you okay? What happened?" she asked, rushing to my side. She gently placed her hand on my shoulder. I flinched at her touch as static energy came free. 

I shook my head. "I-I don't know. I didn't understand any of the questions," I muttered, running my hands through my hair. 

"Hey, it's okay. Look at me," she said and I looked up. "Your grades are amazing. You can take one bad one. You just survived a fire. There's probably still smoke in your lungs." 

I nodded. "Y-Yeah, you're... you're right." She wrapped her arms around me and placed her head on my chest. I put my arms around her, hugging her back. I placed my chin on top of her head as we were silent, just taking in each other's company. 

***

"I mean it! He really did that!" Arya joyfully laughed as the two of us were strolling past the football fields that lay before the school. Our intertwined hands swung back and forth between us. 

"I don't believe that actually happened," I said with a laugh. 

She shrugged. "Well, it did. And I was there to witness it." I drew my hand from Arya's as I dug up my phone after feeling it buzz. I saw May had texted me about dinner and I sent a quick reply. 

"Arya?" I questioned when from the corner of my eye, I saw her slightly swaying from side to side. 

"My head hurts," she said, holding her palm to her forehead. 

"Maybe you should sit down," I told her, taking a hold of her arm, which is the exact opposite of what I should have done. An electric shock surged through my body when I touched her and I was blown off my feet. I landed a few feet away from her and the air was knocked from my lungs. 

"Oh, my God. Peter, are you alright?" I heard Arya call but my ears were ringing from the shock. 

I held up my hand. "Stay back." I didn't mean to sound harsh, but I did, so I quickly added, "Please." 

"Peter, I don't know what's happening," she said and I looked up, finding her hands emitting electric sparks every few seconds. She held them out in front of her. I quickly looked around, but I was relieved to see no one around us.

I stumbled to my feet, standing unsteadily for a moment. "Don't move. I'm calling Mr Stark." I moved to grab my phone. 

"No, don't call Tony. Please," she said, stopping my movements. Her breathing was heavy as her eyes were fixated on her hands. 

"I'm sorry, but this is something that he should be involved in. He's your dad, Arya." I took out my phone and dialled his number. 

"Hello?" I heard him say. 

"Mr Stark? It's Peter. I think something's wrong with Arya," I said and looked at my girlfriend, only to find her glaring me down. 

"What do you mean? Did something happen?" Mr Stark asked. 

"No, nothing happened. She's..." I trailed off, not knowing how to explain the situation. 

"She's what? Talk to me, Pete," he pressed. 

"Electricity is coming off her like crazy. She's lost control over it," I decided to say. 

"Okay, where are you? I'm coming to pick you up." 

"At the school. Near the football fields," I answered. 

"Stay where you are. I'm on my way."

"We will. Just hurry, please. I don't know what's happening to her," I told him before ending the call. 

I turned to Arya, who still held the same pissed-off expression as before. "I'm sorry, okay? I just don't want anything to happen to you," I said softly. 

Her expression softened slightly. "I know. I'm just scared." Her voice trembled.

"It'll be okay. Just don't touch anything," I told her. We stood in utter silence for a few minutes as we waited for Mr Stark to arrive.

"Arya!" I heard Mr Stark's voice behind us and I turned around, finding him jogging toward us. "Are you okay? What's wrong?" 

"I can't stop it, Tony. I don't know where it's coming from," she rambled, a tear falling from the corner of her eye.

"You're gonna be fine. I'm taking you to the hospital," he said, reaching to take her arm. 

"No, don't," Arya said, retracting her hands and wrapping them around herself. 

"Okay. Just... Follow me to the car. I have an altered lightning arrester in it so you won't fry us." His words caused some sort of reaction from Arya, but she didn't act on it. 

With Mr Stark ahead of us, we followed him to the parking lot of the school where he had parked his car. Arya sat in the front, her hands near a cylinder object which drew the electricity from her hands. Her fingers were shaking violently as they hovered in the air. 

"We're gonna fix you, okay? Just hang on," Mr Stark said as he steered the car off of the car park and onto the highway.