twenty-three {Peter's POV}

It had been five days since the encounter between Mr Stark and Arya's mother, Elizabeth. Turned out that Mr Stark's hunch about the case going to court was true. This afternoon, after school, Mr Stark and Elizabeth were going to court to establish Arya's custody. 

Arya hadn't been at school much, only attending the classes that she felt were necessary. And even during those lessons, she'd sit in the back, completely silent, only answering the questions that the teachers asked her. It was scary to see her like this. I was used to the bubbly girl who loved to laugh and goof around with me and our friends. 

She had invited May and me to come to court with her in case she needed me. I had told her many times that the judge would rule in Mr Stark's favour because she had been living a great life with her dad. He took care of her and he protected her, just like any good father would. 

Arya had left before our final class and when the bell rang, I rushed home to change. May had picked jeans and a grey shirt with a black tie for me and she wore a pantsuit. She drove the two of us to court and upon entering the entrance hall, I spotted Arya, Pepper, and Mr Stark standing near the stairs. Her eyes locked with mine and a relieved smile made its way onto her face. 

I rushed over and locked her in an embrace. No one said anything because everything that had to be said, had already been spoken. People around us were chatting with each other and I recognised a few people. 

Irene, the woman Elizabeth had brought, stood next to Dr Adams, Arya's doctor, probably trying to persuade her to support her, but I knew the doctor better than that. 

"Everyone here concerning the case of Tony Stark and Elizabeth Findley to the courtroom, please," a middle-aged man called and I felt Arya tense up. I softly squeezed her shoulder and she looked up. I sent her an encouraging nod before pressing a kiss to her hair. 

The group entered the courtroom. Arya stopped in her tracks and turned to me. "You'll stay around, right?" she asked and I heard the shiver in her voice. 

I nodded. "Of course. I'm not going anywhere," I told her and she wrapped her arms around me, burying her face in my shirt. "I love you and no matter what happens, we'll make it work." 

"I love you too," she whispered before drawing back and wiping her eyes. "I'm gonna head to the front. I'll see you during the break," she told me. 

"Okay, good luck." I offered her a smile which she tried to return before she walked with her father to the front of the courtroom. She sat down on the benches on the first row, right behind Mister Stark. 

The same man who had summoned us to the courtroom stood up again. "Everyone, please rise for Judge Sellers." We all stood up and a fairly young woman entered the room. 

"Thank you, you may sit," she spoke and everyone sat back down. "Welcome everyone. We are gathered today to discuss the custody of Aria Findley." 

"Oh, it's pronounced 'Araya', Your Honour," Mr Stark commented. 

"My apologies. Arya. Her parents, mother Elizabeth and father Tony, are here because they could not come to an agreement on their own. Now, Elizabeth, you currently have full custody over Arya, even after Tony adopted her from the orphanage where you left her when she was just a baby. Is this true?" 

Elizabeth shortly nodded. "This is true." 

"And Tony, when you adopted Arya from the shelter, you didn't know that she was your daughter, is that true?" 

"Yes," Mr Stark stated. 

"All right. I have a couple of questions for you, Elizabeth. I would like it if you could come forward, please," Judge Sellers said and Elizabeth stood up, standing in front of the Judge. "Can you confirm that you have not taken care of Arya ever before apart from the few weeks that she stayed with you in Seattle last year?" 

"This is true but I am completely committed to being a good mother," Elizabeth said quickly. 

Judge Sellers slowly nodded. "And can you tell me what your financial status is?"

"Well, I live in a two-bedroom apartment in Seattle. I work just enough hours to provide for myself but when Arya comes to live with me, I will work more hours to make sure we are both provided for." 

"So you're telling me that when she lives with you, you will work more, which means that you will be absent from home more?" 

She fell silent. "Yes, Your Honour." 

"Very well. Do you have an existing custody plan? Is Arya free to visit you whenever she wants?" 

"We do not have a plan, but I'm sure Arya is allowed to visit me. My door is always open to her." 

"Have you reached out to Arya to invite her to stay with you, say, during the holidays?" 

"No, Your Honour, I have not." Elizabeth looked down for a second. 

"Okay. My final question for you is, have you been in contact with Tony about setting up a plan before any of this happened?" 

She shook her head, not even bothering to speak. "Very well. You may sit down. Tony, can you come up here for me?" the judge said.

Elizabeth sat down and Mr Stark got up. "Tony, I have Arya's medical records here. Is it true that Arya ended up in the hospital after a serious bus crash when she was under your care?" 

"Yes, Your Honour. This is true," Mister Stark answered solemnly. 

"And is it true that she was recently hospitalised with a spinal fracture which was a direct consequence of the crash?"

"That's also true." 

"Have you allowed Arya to visit her mother whenever she wanted to, and have you encouraged her to visit her mother?" 

"I have always allowed her to visit her mother and I took care of the expenses. I have not encouraged her to visit her mother." 

"And as a final question, can you confirm that Arya lived on her own for a short period of time without any supervision?" 

Mr Stark let out a soft sigh. "Yes, Your Honour." 

"Alright, you may sit back down. Arya, could you come up here?" Judge Sellers asked and Arya nodded, standing before the Judge. 

"The series of questions I asked your parents have, of course, had an effect on you. Do you want to react to any of them?" Judge Sellers questioned. 

Arya nodded slowly. "Yes, I want to say that I really enjoy living with my father. He takes care of me but also gives me the freedom to be myself. The months that I stayed at my mother's house in Seattle was horrible, but that had nothing to do with her. I was going through some issues that now have been solved." 

"And did your mother help you with those issues?" the Judge asked and Arya shook her head. "And what would you say if your mother were to move closer to where you live now so you could have a co-parental agreement?" 

Arya fell silent and didn't answer. "Arya?" 

Her head shot up. "Sorry," she mumbled and I saw she was clenching her fists, which is what she did whenever her powers would get out of hand. 

"Do you need a minute?" the Judge asked. 

"No, it's fine. I think the situation is good how it is. I'm at a great school, I have friends, I don't think I need change right now." 

Judge Sellers slowly nodded. "Very well, thank you. You may sit down." She stood up and spoke to the crowd. "You can take 15 minutes and we'll be back after I have discussed the matter." The hammer hit the wood and everyone rose to their feet. I rushed to the front but before I could get there, Arya had already vanished.