twelve {Arya's POV}

"S-Surgery?" I mustered out as I stared at Dr Adams in pure terror. 

She nodded solemnly, folding her hands on the desk in front of her. "I'm afraid the bus crash caused some kind of rupture in your spine and the electricity that's been safely preserved inside your body is now free to escape whenever it wants to. This is affecting your lungs, which is why you coughed up blood," she explained. 

I averted my eyes, unable to speak or react in any other way.

"I know it sounds scary but we'll do our ultimate best to get you back to your usual self," Dr Adams said softly. 

"Is it a dangerous surgery?" Tony asked. 

"I can't say for sure. There's not a lot that can go wrong, but I don't know how your powers will affect the operation. It might make things a bit harder, but I can assure you that you're in good hands, Arya," she answered. "I have a team of great surgeons ready to go if you're ready, and don't worry, all of them signed an NDA so no one will figure out your secret identity." 

I nodded. "O-Okay," I said. I looked up at Tony and he nodded softly, patting my knee. "I guess I'm ready." 

"All right. We'll have you admitted and prepped for surgery. This way." Dr Adams stood up from her chair and walked out of her office with us following her. Pepper and Peter were waiting outside and they looked up. I instantly wrapped my arms around Peter. 

"She needs surgery," Tony informed him. 

"Surgery?" Peter questioned. 

"Yes," Dr Adams said. "And it's quite urgent so we have to get going. Every minute we waste can bring her closer to possible danger." 

I reluctantly let go. I let out a deep breath before I nodded. "Okay, let's go." I held Peter's hand tightly in mine as we followed Doctor Adams toward a different section of the hospital. We entered a room that held only a hospital bed, some equipment and a neatly folded blue gown on the bed. 

I was told to change into the gown and take place on the bed, which I did. A nurse inserted an IV into my hand and hooked me to a heart monitor. Dr Adams came into the room again and had me fill out some paperwork. Most of it had already been filled out, I saw, and I recognised Pepper's neat handwriting. Despite everything, it made me smile.

"Arya, you can take one person into the O.R. with you," Dr Adams spoke up after I handed her the paperwork. "After you go to sleep, they'll wait in the waiting room with the others. Who do you want to come with you? If anyone, of course." 

"If you could get Peter for me, that'd be great," I said, smiling softly. 

"Of course," she said, giving my shoulder a soft squeeze. "The paperwork is complete. I'll see you after the surgery." 

I nodded. "Thank you." 

She left the room and Peter came in seconds later, taking my hand in his. He didn't let go as the team of nurses took the bed off of the brakes and wheeled me out of the room. I was taken into the O.R. and while Peter was told to put on a special gown and covers for his shoes, a mask was placed over my mouth. 

Peter stood beside my bed and held my hand in his. His other hand ran through my hair in an attempt to calm me down, because he knew I loved it when people would play with my hair. 

"Arya, I need you to count down from twenty for me," Dr Spencer, the lead surgeon, spoke and I nodded. 

"Twenty. Nineteen. Eighteen. Seventeen. Sixteen. Fifteen. Four... Fourteen... Th... Thirteen..." My eyes slowly closed as I was pulled under.

***

"Arya, Miss Solomon opened the pool! Let's go!" Evanna called excitedly. I sat up in my bed.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," I laughed, closing my sketchbook. I stuffed it under my pillow before I jumped up. I quickly changed into my swimsuit before I followed my best friend to the piece of land behind the orphanage, or as Miss Solomon, the owner, liked to call it, the Home for the Lost and Broken. It still didn't sound very positive, but it was better than having to be constantly reminded that I, or any of us, didn't have any parents.

We reached the pool and Evanna was quick to jump in. I hesitated for a second. "What's wrong?" Evanna asked.

"Is it cold?" I asked, scrunching my nose.

"Not at all! Come on, it's nice," she replied with a laugh. I smiled broadly before I dove in. I stayed underwater for a few seconds, enjoying the silence. I swam to the surface and gladly inhaled the oxygen. It was the beginning of May, which meant that the Arizona air was warming up quickly.

Evanna, Jonah, Will, and I spent the entire afternoon at the pool. We played volleyball in the pool, football on the lawn, played Go Fish at the picnic table and enjoyed the sun.

It wasn't until later that afternoon that the sky became overcast, but it was still pretty warm, so we didn't go inside yet. "Who's up for a volleyball rematch?" Will asked. He and Jonah had lost the last game to Evanna and me.

"Definitely, I can't wait to kick your asses again," Evanna grinned.

"Language, young lady!" we heard a female voice call. I turned my head and discovered that it belonged to Miss Solomon.

"Sorry, Miss," Evanna called quickly before she grabbed my wrist and pulled me to the pool. She held my hand and smiled before we jumped in the water.

The four of us were so busy that we didn't notice the small droplets of water that started falling from the sky. Soon, those small droplets turned into big ones.

"Children, I think it's time to come out of the water," Miss Solomon called.

"It's just rain, Miss, that won't hurt anyone," Jonah replied. Miss Solomon chuckled and shook her head before she went inside again.

The rain splattering on the water of the pool and our laughter were so loud that we didn't hear the distant rumbling of the thunder.

"Will, pass the ball!" Jonah called and Will tossed it in his direction.

"Guys, start the game or we'll go inside," Evanna impatiently called, but I heard the joking undertone in her voice.

"Gee, calm down. We've got all d-"

Everything went black. 

My ears were ringing and I couldn't see anything. My body felt like it was on fire.

It felt like hours until I felt tingling in my fingertips. I managed to turn my head but I instantly wished I hadn't. Evanna's lifeless eyes were widely staring at me. I wanted to scream, I wanted to get up and run until my legs gave out, but I couldn't. I was trapped inside my own body, unable to move, unable to talk, unable to close my eyes.

Evanna's brown eyes that once held a bright spark were now dull, bloodshot, and blank.

Slowly, my hearing came back. I heard sirens and people shouting. "Ma'am, step back, the water could still be dangerous!" I heard a male voice call.

"But my children!" I recognized that voice to belong to Miss Solomon. I wanted more than anything to get out of the pool and tell her that I was okay.

After what felt like years, something grabbed my arm and pulled me onto the side. Someone searched for the pulse in my neck and I knew that they were going to find it. "She's still alive! Get a stretcher!" a voice shouted and the ringing in my ears returned. I clenched my eyes shut and shook my head slightly. "It's okay, you're going to be fine," a male voice said. "Can you try to nod?" I did as he asked, even though it took me way more energy than it should. "Good, we're going to take you to the hospital. Is that okay?" I nodded.

The next few minutes were vague. I couldn't really remember what happened.

"We're going to put you on a stretcher. This is gonna hurt," the male voice returned. I nodded once again and the next second, I burst out in pained screams. It felt like every inch of my flesh was being torn off.

Black spots danced in front of my eyes and I passed out.