The Meeting

Lights like a thousand stars shone in the night - making up for the starless sky. The city night was not silent. Car horns, sirens, and rain hitting the ground made the night seem more radiant. The rain slid down like tears from heaven. The sirens sang a song of false hope. The car horns joined in to make a melody. The towering Buildings seemed to reach for the heavens like gentle giants that wanted to capture the stars. Up upon a taller building was a boy who shuddered at the thought of Giants. Suddenly, the view of Gotham City didn't seem so beautiful. It was as sinister as the criminals that surrounded it. An image of monstrosities the size of skyscrapers and mountains appeared in his head, and he could almost hear the screams... he could almost feel the death all over again.

Don't jump." A voice said, breaking the boy out of his thoughts.

The boy hopped into a defensive stance. He saw the older boy - the Antihero, Red Hood, and tensed further, "Wasn't planning on it."

Red Hood crossed his arms, "Then what are you doing up here?"

"None of your business," The boy seemed ready for a fight, "Mr. Hood. Didn't your mom ever teach you that?"

The antihero scowled, "Didn't yours ever tell you to respect your elders?"

"Probably. I wouldn't know."

Red Hood frowned, "Dead?"

The boy shrugged, "Probably. I don't remember anything from before I was six. It's been four years. I do my own thing."

Red Hood looked at the boy, suddenly seeing the signs - which had been harder to spot in the dark. He had a muddy t-shirt that had been patched - older tears crudely done, but the newer ones seemed to be almost perfect, and his shoes had been duct taped together. The faded black jeans were about two sizes too small, and the patches and rips were barely holding - even when done well. He wore an ancient aviator jacket that was just as filthy as the rest. There was a small bag behind the boy - most likely his belongings. The bag was black - like the rest of his boy's clothing. The only thing that seemed remotely nice was a metallic black Skull ring on his finger with emerald eyes. Red Hood eyed it suspiciously.

"Where did you get that?"

The boy scowled, "I'm not a thief if that's what you're asking. It was a gift. A gift from my half sister."

"Where is she now then? Did she abandon you?"

The boy glared, "She's dead. She would never abandon me like my other sister. She saved my life. Don't talk trash about Hazel - or Bianca. Even though Bianca left... she had every right to. I was different then."

"Isn't death another form of abandonment?" Hood asked, seeming as if he was looking for a specific answer.

"Death is just another fact of life. We die when we are meant to. You cannot stop someone who is meant to die from dying ... and when you do, your death will come soon after, and you will take their place."

The antihero nodded at him, "I like you. That's a very accurate definition of how it works."

The boy laughed, "If anyone should know how it works, it would be the bastard, half mortal son of the lord of the Underworld."

Hood seemed surprised at this new information, "What's your name?"

The boy hesitated, "Nico. Nico Di Angelo."

Hood then grinned, "I've been looking for someone to watch my back. Stopped killing recently, but Bats won't take me back...I guess what I'm asking is... you wanna try hero life?"

Nico's eyes widened in surprise, but he grinned, and nodded, "I need something to do anyway... plus I'm running out of jobs that aren't illegal... I'm assuming you are going to help me out?"

Hood laughed, "Kid, I'm going do my best to spoil you rotten! You look like you need it!"

The smaller boy blushed vibrantly making the older chuckle.