Even Batman Has A Heart

Batman dropped into an old apartment. It was an ancient building, but somehow Red Hood had managed to make it comfortable ... to make it a home. Batman's eyes narrowed as he heard voices from the kitchen.

"Ha! Jason!" One shouted, "I got you now!"

Batman paused in concern, a thousand thoughts running through his head. Was Jason in danger? Was he fighting someone?

Batman snuck over to the kitchen, and was surprised to see a small 10 year old boy smirking as Jason groaned. They seemed to be playing a card game.

"I quit! You're too good at this!" Jason grumbled, "Stupid mythomagic."

The boy giggled, "So the big bad Red Hood just got beaten in a card game by a ten year old?"

Red Hood scowled playfully, "And the secretive Shadow is a giggly ten year old boy?"

Shadow fake pouted, "At least I'm not an old man like you!"

Jason mock gasped, and put a hand to his chest, "Oh how dare you! I'm not old!"

The two stared at each other, before bursting into laughter.

When they recomposed themselves, Jason ruffled Shadows hair, "Well I guess I better go to work."

"Awww!" Shadow groaned, "Can't Mcdonald's wait a little bit longer?"

"Nope!" Jason grinned proudly, "I'm a manager which means I have to get there early!"

".... You seem a little too happy for someone working for a fast food joint..." Shadow said after a pause.

Jason blushed, "At least I have a job, and not tied down by child labor laws."

The younger rolled his eyes, "That just means I'm free to have fun while you get to do boring stuff all day!"

Jason chuckled, "Well, I guess my boring stuff is waiting my arrival... I'm gonna go! Bye Nico!"

Shadow (or rather Nico) hugged Jason, "Bye!"

Batman continued to hide as Jason left. His eyes narrowed, and he resolved to watch 'Nico' carefully. Jason seemed okay... but where did Nico fit in? Jason hated most children... why was this one different?

"You hurt him, you know." Nico said softly, not even turning to face the Batman.

Batman paused. Did the boy know he was there?

"I know you're there, Batman, and you hurt him."

Batsman stepped out of the shadows. Nico turned to face him with innocence in shining his eyes.

"How so?" Batman asked, not letting his emotions show.

Nico looked into Batman's eyes, "Jason was under the influence of the Lazarus pit... he recently broke out of it. He went straight to you... the man he viewed as a father. He turned to you, and you turned him away. It hurt him. He cries at night. His nightmares include you, and all of his other horrors. He needs you, but he doesn't want to admit it."

Batman frowned, "Where do you come in?"

"I remind him of himself." Nico stated calmly, "We have similar pasts. He wants me to turn out better - not that I think I could turn out much better." The boy looked at Batman daring him to disagree.

Batman didn't. He didn't let his conflict show, "I'll give him one more chance."

Nico smiled at Batman, "That's all I can ask."