FORTY-NINE

I gaze at the girl in the mirror. The looking glass wall-mounted, encircled by a frame of threadlike strands of silver, interlaced together in a mock-cable arrangement.

The luminosity of the light shone through the whole bathroom as I studied myself. After a long shower, I called for cleansing. Three days I have not bathed, and it's revolting.

I turned over, wiped the fog off the mirror, and stood there looking at myself, taking in every detail, shape, size, and color. The mirror shows me what the whole world can understand.

A girl with scars, long black hair, and silver eyes; covered in scars and the faded purple bruise around my abdomen where Heather kicked me at the same place. It doesn't hurt nearly as much now.

Everything I've been through since that accident was full of fright, frustration, and loneliness. Then through my teenage years, however lonely, isolated, and neglected by others who saw me as a threat. Meeting Lily changed my thoughts about people; we became loyal friends to best friends. She's like my other sister from another family. Clark, I had a minor crush on him for being the perfect guy, he turned for the worst when he attacked me, but we understood why he did it. Hiding him sexually is hard for others who regard you as the perfect person. He and I became best friends, my gay best friend.

I never interact with people near me, like the Wolfe brothers who moved next to us. With the increase of hot guys in Long Beach, they were the talk of the townsfolk. Every female population in the city wants to snag one of them. My sister shagged one; she was once pregnant with his child.

I wasn't one of those girls that automatically wanted a slice of that ass. The first time I made eye contact with Seth and Don, I didn't desire to stare at shirtless hot guys carrying boxes, and Seth tried to flirt with me. Then I met with the twins, with one who seized my attention.

Logan was like a fly that had flown into my ear, and my brain was messing with it. Doubts and unsure thoughts about him spun in my mind like crazy until I realized we were so much alike and fell in love.

Then I discover that our grandfather is a gang leader of an underground crime syndicate. But he has done much charity work using the money he supposedly earns. But it seems Odin owns Olympus, a voluptuous and expensive five-star hotel in many big cities; New York, Mumbai, Tokyo, Singapore, Hawaii, and Las Vegas. Odin has one here in Los Angeles as well.

Our grandfather is a billionaire, just from what he makes out.

I was surprised to see Jordan here; I reckon she was worried as my sister. She is like my other sis and also my English teacher. Three days, I missed two school days, but she let it slide because of what happened to me not making out any favorites. I got to make up work.

That part sucks.

I drew my long damped hair over my shoulder and brushed it through my fingers several times. On the marble countertop, I plucked up the scissors. I took a deep breath, my heart racing nervously as I gripped my hair, and with one quick move, I snipped my long hair as it descended to the tile floor beside my feet. I kept hacking away. My long hair has been with me since I decided to get out of it like my mom. I guessed she was a real-life princess and chose to be one too. It had been with me my whole life, the only thing ever stuck by my side through thick and thin. But now it's time to forget my horrid past, that day almost dying in the freezer by psycho Heather. I have to let it all go because it's the sole reminder of what used to be.

After I had showered, dried, and fresh in clothes, I stood in front of the tall windows staring at the scene, letting my train of thought go to an endless trail.

I learned so much from Odin; my dad used his mother's maiden name because he didn't want to be involved with a criminal. So, it's no wonder the last name differs from our grandpa's. Odin wanted us to change our last name to King, but Athena suggested keeping Reid because it's who were are, and we've reserved the title proudly. Our grandfather didn't object and felt happy.