CHAPTER ONE

⬛️⬜️

⬛️⬜️

   MOST PEOPLE WOULD describe themselves arriving at Hogwarts fresh faced, amazed and excited. The only way Aribelle would ever describe it would be as torture. Her breath came out as pants from the long walk up the hill with a heavy trunk dragged behind her, sweat glistened on her face.  "God, I need to get into shape." She mumbled to herself as she took a moment to catch her breath.

   Unlike most students she hadn't taken the train. Aribelle hated trains with a passion, they made her feel sick and dizzy. She had heard her brother explain it to his friends as 'travel sickness'.

   Her stomach tied itself into knots as she approached the castle, she was painfully aware that most started at eleven years old. Due to her father's belief she was too soft she had been forced to remain home and learn everything she needed to know from him.

   Finally prepared, she walked through the open gates, making her way up to the castle. As she entered she could see a witch with dark brown hair, specks of grey beginning to show. "You're late. The first years are almost here." Already, Aribelle could tell she would be strict.

  "Sorry, I didn't realise how long of a walk it was." Aribelle mumbled quietly, shuffling her feet as she looked down.

"Perhaps next time you'll take one of our carriages instead?" Professor McGongall suggested. Aribelle nodded glumly. "Very well, follow me." Aribelle followed her to a small chamber. It had a plain stool with a rather beaten up hat perched on top.

A thick film of dust coated the hat, giving it a grotty look, enhanced by the stitching on the seams beginning to unravel. Professor McGongall picked the hat up, studying her closely. "Take a seat, Miss Malfoy." Aribelle took a seat, her eyebrows raising as the hat was lowered into her head.

Almost as soon as it had settled on the dark strands of hair it let out a loud yell. "HUFFLEPUFF!" Professor McGongall took the hat off, nodding to Aribelle as her tie changed to the respective colour and the crest of the school changed to one of a badger.

"Professor! There must be a mistake." She protested quickly, standing up. Her eyes widened as she fully absorbed the words. Hufflepuff was a house absolutely despised by her family, only beaten by Gryffindor. Her mother and father sneered whenever the house was mentioned, pinning the members as weak.

"The sorting hat does not make mistakes. Follow me, I will take you to the Great Hall and direct you to your table." Professor McGongall left quickly, Aribelle quick to follow. She managed to slip into the Great Hall with minuscule detection and settled at her appointed house.

"You must be new, I've never noticed you before." A girl piped up almost automatically. Aribelle observed her closely, she had dark chestnut hair, a set of large glasses and green eyes. "I'm Rebecca Hariwish." The girl stuck her hand out towards Aribelle.

"Aribelle Malloy." She responded, reluctantly shaking her hand. Rebecca smiled at her, a questioning expression on her face.

"Malfoy? I thought luscious pure white hair was a thing for that family." Aribelle actually let out a tiny laugh. She had always been confused herself until she had met her mother's sister.

"I take after my aunt, we look similar." Aribelle explained. "I will never have glorious white hair in curls."

"Is your family's hair...you know? Lightened?" Rebecca questioned. "Also what's up with the names?"

"No. All natural." Aribelle laughed, smiling at her. "I dunno...guess we like abnormal names I guess? At least ours aren't as bad as the Black family's."

   "I suppose. Sirius and Regulus are a bit weird." Rebecca laughed, pulling her glasses off and putting them to one side. "I can't see things when they're far away, now I've stopped tying to see across the hall I don't need them." She explained to the confused Malfoy.

"Wouldn't it make sense to leave them on incase you need to see?" Aribelle question, confusion written on her face.

"No."

⬜️⬛️

A/N: this chapter is what I like to call 'short but sweet' I was a little delayed posting it and wanted to get something out. Sorry! I've been working in London since Thursday and my hotels WiFi was broken and I didn't want to use data because it takes soooo much when I'm on Wattpad because I get distracted easily.