It Takes One to Know One

The gates opened, letting in complete strangers into the glass-made castle which looked like it was made of crystals. The villagers stepped in, greeting the king and queen. The princesses ran through the halls together, shouting and playing a game of tag.

"It's finally your birthday, Vivian! What are you wishing for?" The youngest, Aemi, asked.

Vivian thought for a moment then answered, "I'm going to wish to someday marry a prince and become queen of the world!" They both laughed and giggled at the odd response.

"You'll make a good queen. Just like mommy!"

"Of course I will." The girls ran down the over sized glass-like stairs, meeting the strange villagers. Some would say good morning, others would say happy birthday. This made Vivian smile even more.

The queen knelt down to her daughters height and smiled, "Now six years old, you're getting old on me, child." Vivian blushed without a reply.

"She is growing older, my love." The king responded and patted his daughter on the back.

Vivian ran off with Aemi, meeting with some other children around their ages.

"Happy birthday your grace." One of them curtsied. Vivian only nodded as her own thanks.

It was after the celebration, when everyone was leaving the castle. Vivian and Aemi sat down on a bench, dozing off each now and then. The king and queen had worried looks upon their faces, talking to a man from another kingdom.

Vivian saw the man conversing with them, he didn't seem too pleased with it. A moment after, he pulled out a dagger and struck her father in his stomach. Vivian shot up, shocked, and yelled for her father. Her mom bent down to help him, she was shot with an arrow in her back. "Mother!" Vivian had tears streaming down. She pulled her sister from the bench and ran, tripping over the weight of her sister.

Blood shed everywhere as people around her were being attacked by strange men from another country.

"Viv, what is happening?" Aemi spoke softly, her eyes were slightly opened.

"Nothing, keep running!" But they were stopped by a man. This man was the one who killed their parents.

He gave them a half smile, half scowl, "You'll get her back after you manage to pay your debts!" He grabbed the youngest away. Vivian didn't resist or fight, she back away. She knew if she fought, she would die. She wouldn't stand a chance. A six year old against an older man.

"Aei..." Was all that could leave her quivering lips.

Ten years later

The sixteen year old marched down an old road; followed by one of the old servants who was left behind after the massacre of her parents, sister, and villagers.

"Are you sure you want to do this, my lady?" The servant, Gena, asked.

Vivian pulled out a dagger and quickly threw it at her, slightly missing the girls face. "Of course I want to. If I did not want to do so, would I be heading over to King's Landing right now? You must think more often." Vivian turned around and continued walking. "Oh, and get that dagger for me, will you?"

"My lady, you're going to a royal castle, shouldn't you at least act tolerable?"

"I've lived in a castle for six years, I know what I'm doing."

Gena picked up the dagger and caught up with the ex princess. "Here." She gave her the weapon. "Maybe next time don't throw it."

Vivian snapped around with the blade to Gena's throat. "Do not tell me what to do. You're just a villager to me, not even a servant. You are an ex servant, I don't take advice from anyone, especially a lousy villager who used to be a servant."