The Quiet Ones

Enter Blake Fields

__________________________

"𝚆𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚌𝚛𝚊𝚣𝚢 𝚎𝚗𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑 𝚝𝚘 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚟𝚘𝚒𝚌𝚎𝚜 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝚎𝚗𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑 𝚝𝚘 𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚗."

The freshly fallen rain had brought the woods to life. Vibrate greens painted the landscape, mixing in with bloomed wildflowers growing from the forest floor. Although the scenery was beautiful, the sky above was clouded with darkness.

Puffy gray clouds threatened to spill once again with a roaring vengeance.

Anna took a step onto the soft muddy ground of the forest, her hiking boots pushing into the muck. With each step she took, it felt as if she were sinking into the earth. Like it was finally going to swallow her whole.

"Careful, one wrong step and that mud will suck you right in," the groggy voice rang from beside her as if reading her exact thoughts.

Anna turned her head, eyes meeting Blake Fields round ones. They had always reminded her of puppy dog eyes, sad and needing some kind of human affection, but everything else about her was secure. 

Blake was fearless, confidently projecting her style and her personality without giving two shits what the next person might think. But it was also her downfall, allowing for people like Claire to use her free spirit against her.

However, Claire's tactics never worked on Blake. Anna could remember countless times she'd laugh off the jokes made at her expense, causing Claire to rip her hair out in the process. It also allowed Blake to become somewhat of a loner, not wanting to conform to society's idea of the perfect teenage girl.   

Anna often found herself envying Blake for her careless attitude. She always looked content, no matter what was happening around her. 

"I have to be honest, I'm surprised that you're even here," Blake admitted, her thick auburn hair falling over her porcelain face as she peered out into the darkened woods, "You were always so quick to jump on Claire Daniels bullying bandwagon. Having regrets?" She asked harshly as her eyes stayed locked into the distance. 

Feeling attacked, Anna turned her body towards Blake, "It was harmless high school banter," she argued, her voice rising slightly as the other volunteers began to take notice.  

Blake finally turned to meet her gaze, "Was it?" She asked, her forehead crinkling with the question. The air horn in the distance sounded, prompting the search to begin. The countless volunteers that were lined up began their trek into the woods, including Blake, "Because if that was true," she yelled out as she walked away from Anna, "Because my guess is, you wouldn't be here unless you were having regrets."

Anna watched Blake and the group she was stationed with walk ahead, their figures becoming shadows as they went further past the tree line.

What did Blake know? How could she speak on why Anna was there aiding in the search?

She knew one thing for sure, the sun hadn't shined since the day Molly's disappearance was ruled a missing person's case. And everyone felt the unwelcomed chill in the air as the search for her became part the towns routine.

Many though, had their theories of what might have become of her. To most of her peers, she was an outcast, nothing more than a loner who had no place in a small town full of people who made it clear she would never fit in. It was easy for them to assume she ran off, by herself or with someone and planned to never come back.