Chapter 13

Maybe I should go with you,' Stone holds onto Aleska's hand, restraining her.

She rolls her eyes.  'Stone ---I'm only going to Manaus.  I should be back in two hours,' she murmurs softly.

'Maybe we can make a date of it,' he leans towards her wanting to kiss her on the lips.

She shifts away, half of the troop is watching.

'Don't do that!'  He pins her at the waist and takes his kiss.  Not like the entire squadron does not know that they are an item. It's probably their worst kept secret.

'Kiss me when we're alone?' She protests.

'That's a moot point, seeing you're ready to leave.'

Her eyes lock with his.  'Do you need anything?'

'Just hurry back.'

Aleska hears scuffling and looks over her shoulder.  She sees Simon and Chris engaging in what looks like horseplay.  'They don't look like they're in training!'  Aleska watches in confusion.

'I have the list,' Simon waves a piece of paper in Chris' face.

'Are you going to walk to Manaus?' Chris stabs a finger in Simon's chest.

'Take your hand of me,' Simon shoves Chris away.

'You think ---.'

'What the hell is going on here?' Stone's thunderous voice silences the other two.

'I am the pilot.  I am taking Major Maric to Manaus,' Chris declares.

'I have the supplies list.  I know what I need,' Simon remonstrates.

Aleska stares from one to the other in amazement.  Good heavens!  Where they arguing as to who should accompany her to Manaus?  Why the hell could the both of them not just go with, if needs be?   Aleska rips the list from Simon's hand.  A broad smirks covers Chris' face.  Aleska turns to Jane Nicol and addresses her.

'Come with me Captain.'

The smile disappears of Chris' face.

'Y--- yes Major.'  Jane is delighted to be the chosen one.  She has developed absolute reverence and appreciation for Major Maric.

Aleska marches towards her helicopter.  Jane is practically running behind her.

'You strapped in?'  Aleska checks.

'Yes Major,' Jane rings her hands nervously.

'You're safe with me,' Aleska assures her as she flicks on the switches on the control panel.  'Been flying for almost four years and have not had a crash.'

'I trust you,' Jane blurts.

'Then don't look like you either have aerophobia, or that you doubt my piloting skills,' Aleska grins.

'Sorry.'

'No, I'm sorry to have dragged you with me,' Aleska gets the helicopter into the air, and speeds away in the direction of Manaus.

'No problem.  I mean I'm very happy to be here.'

'I'll believe it when you look convincing,' Aleska laughs softly.

'Wow!'

'What?' Aleska enquires.

'Nancy --- Lieutenant Stuart was right.  You're cool,' Jane laughs nervously.

Aleska shakes her head. 

This bunch is a weird lot.

Aleska gets all the supplies they need. She replenishes her stock of personal items.  Gives Jane the list she took from Simon.  They are quickly done.