Chapter 1 - The Next Generation

Hero. That's the only thing Yumi Midoriya had ever wanted to be. Someone who people could look up to and rely upon. Someone who kept people safe, someone like her parents, Izuku and Ochako Midoriya. And as common as it was - and still is - it was her dream. A dream that was unreachable.

~~~

The young girl twirled her pen around her finger, staring at the cover of the brand new notebook that laid open on the desk. She pressed the tip of the pen to the cover, writing a collection of words down.

"Yumi! Your amazing brother is here!" Goru swung the door of Yumi's bedroom open, leapt inside, pulled his younger sister out of her chair and into a hug.

Yumi laughed awkwardly, gently patting her brother's arm, hoping that he would loosen his grip on her. Her older brother got the hint, letting her go, somewhat reluctantly.

"Pat pat," Goru said as he patted his sister's head. "What are you doing up so late huh?"

Yumi gave her brother a questioning look. "You're the one that just came barging into my room" she pouted, slightly irritated that her peaceful atmosphere had been interrupted. But knowing that her brother was moving out tomorrow brought a sudden sensation of longing.

"Hey. Don't look too upset. I know I'm amazing and you can't live without me-" Goru said with a smug look on his face, to which Yumi unconsciously rolled her eyes, "-but I know you'll be fine. Besides, you'll have Saika, and you could always call on that funny Teijo to karate chop those bullies" Goru laughed.

Yumi forced a laugh, attempting to hide her nervousness. Goru saw through his sister's mirthless laugh and looked at her, dead serious.

"Hey. I really think you should tell Mum and Dad about what's been going on at school."

Yumi hastily shook her head. "Mum and Dad already have a lot to deal with. And it's like you said, I'll be fine."

Goru gave out an elongated sigh.

"Well, goodnight."

"Night" Yumi replied as Goru quietly shut the door.

---

Yumi raised her hand and waved alongside her parents, her sad gaze fixated on her brother and the train he was in, only looking away once it disappeared out of sight.

Her mother, Ochako, shed a tear as she watched her eldest child go. The family had been elated when they received the white envelope, and the contents inside. They had celebrated Goru's acceptance into U.A. with a massive party, inviting their relatives. And now, that's where he was heading to. The number one hero school in Japan, U.A. High.

Yumi didn't even realise her parents were talking to her - she was too caught up in her thoughts to notice.

"Yumi!"

She snapped back into reality.

Her father, Izuku, softened his hardened gaze when she turned to him.

"Let's go. You don't want to be late on your first day back do you?"

"I guess not."