Chapter 8 - Teijo's Dilemma

Yumi

"Simmer down everyone! We want to act accordingly when Mr. Kaeshio arrives," Teijo boomed, voice loud and authoritative. Everyone ignored him.

Saika chortled, slapping Teijo hard on the back, clearly not taking into consideration how demeaning this whole ordeal was for our always proper and well-mannered friend.

Teijo let out a defeated sigh, and I swear he looked teary-eyed before the mist fogged up his glasses, and his leather-soled feet shambled over to his desk.

"Wow, nice going Saika," I grumbled. It was upsetting to see Teijo have such a forlorn expression, but perhaps it was more surprising than anything. Saika was constantly bantering with Teijo, and yet he never seemed to be bothered by it. So maybe, the reason for his melancholy was a different reason entirely.

Saika bit her lip, but rolled her eyes straight after. "Your expression tells me you're thinking wayyyy too into this," she playfully punched my arm, grinning. "Don't be dramatic Yumi. He just sighed and awkwardly walked away, it's not like the end of the world is coming," she chuckled.

"...You never know-"

"No, shush," Saika, placed a finger over my lips, rolling her eyes for what seemed like the umpteenth time today.

"But anyways," I said, moving Saika's hand away, "this is Teijo we're talking about. He doesn't just shamble away and sigh so...dejectedly."

Saika shrugged, leaning against my desk. "He's fine. Why are you so worried anyway?"

"Because I'm a really good friend," I smiled innocently, speaking in a sugary voice. "Much better than you anyway," I mumbled the last part under my breath, but Saika still heard it.

"Excuse me? I am the BESTEST friend," she clicked her tongue in annoyance before stomping over to Teijo's desk, slamming her fist onto the table so aggressively I was scared it might break.

"ARE YOU O-"

"G-Good m-morning..." a meek voice said, barely audible. Mr. Kaeshio would've gone unnoticed if it wasn't for the pair of eyes that caught sight of our teacher's hunched figure waddling inside and shutting the classroom door.

The class immediately fell into an undisrupted silence as Mr. Kaeshio shuffled into the room, the only noise being the squeaking of his shoes against the clean floor.

"Now...um...I'm aware that Lemillion gave you feedback yesterday...but I would like to clarify some things...so we'll be going over yesterday's training results," he said quietly, looking around the room nervously, as if he expected a sudden outburst to occur.

A murmur disrupted the silence, with students conversing with one another in low voices. I looked back, expecting to see Teijo shoot up from his desk and tell everyone to listen. He did no such thing.

"Oi! Guys, listen!" Saika barked, the room falling into silence once more (much to our teacher's great gratitude).

"T-Thank you. Now...we will go over Midoriya, Todoroki, Bakugo and Fujikawa first." I fidgeted excitedly, noticing Saika's eyes widening in slight trepidation. Mr. Kaeshio lightly tapped his fingers against the lectern, eyes scanning the four of us, his lower lip quivering as he prepared to speak. "Midoriya and Todoroki," he began quietly. Saika and I sat up straight, eagerly scooting to the edge of our seats.

"You both performed outstandingly," a smirk began to grow on Saika's face. "But–" and in the blink of an eye, her smirk vanished, "–you relied too heavily on your opponents' uncooperation. If it wasn't for their inability to get along, simply placing the bomb out of reach wouldn't have been enough to avoid defeat," our teacher claimed, a newfound confidence seemingly taking over.