Chapter Two: Stowaway

The good thing about hiding out in the hold was I could pretty much eat however much I wanted; as long as I hid the scraps, was quiet, and made sure not to move once there were footsteps on the stairs. The bad thing was it was frequented pretty often by the crew and I lived in constant fear of being discovered. So far, I've drifted in and out of light sleep, never getting more than a little at a time.

Fear prevented me from doing that. What if I spoke in my sleep? Being discovered was a pretty scary concept. Something unknown, and I never liked that, even on a good day. So, I waited behind crated, hoping it was what they were shipping, not something they needed. Every single time I heard those accursed footsteps on the creaking stairs, freezing up. Down here there were only occasional glimpses of light from slightly worrying cracks in the structure of the thing, or when they opened the hatch. Other than that, it could've been one day, or near a week. I had no idea how long I had been out here.

The whole place was dusty. Musty perhaps too. Rather unpleasant. Really if they wanted to make sure that the products came to the next harbour and was still sellable, well shouldn't they care for it a little more than they were right now? Made me reconsider eating sometimes, but then minutes later I was stuffing my face and disregarding all my mumblings and wonderings. It was all silly, after all. I have eaten and lived in many worse places. Boredom was a toxic pill for the mind.

Sleep was always a brief escape. I never dreamed and counted myself lucky. Imagine if I slept and also dreamed? The horror of it, really. I was always thinking too much when I was awake. Wondering, planning, and daydreaming. It never shut off during my waking hours, and if the same happened when I was asleep, I would have gone mad quite some time ago. Wasn't saying that I'm not mad now, could very well be.

I closed my eyes, hoping for a short reprieve. Of course, I would have to try and not slip into a deep sleep in case someone came. I sighed. Sleep didn't seem to want to come easily. Not with all those thoughts swimming around in my mind.

Of course, it turns out I had spoken far too soon.

Because the next thing I knew, I had a hand on my shoulder. My eyes flew open and I started upright, knocking off the hand and startling the other person. I looked at the intruder and wide blue eyes stared right back. The first instinct was to run. To get up and bolt as far and as fast as I could, but I stilled my hand and mind. Rationally that made no sense. This was one person, and the only place out was up, where there were countless others. Once up there, then what? Launch myself off of the side of the ship and into the ocean? Right.

"What's ya name?" He asked, gently. "I'm Ren."

"Ren?" I asked, curious and unable to stop myself.

"Yeah," he shrugs. "I know it's a funny one, darlin', but the legal name's worse."

"How so?"

"Raven." He laughs at himself. "Raven Baily Hillam. Dunno what my ma was thinkin', but she was probably a bit tipsy from the whisky she took for the pain." He winks. "So, what's ya name? Canna be worse than mine."

It's out of my mouth before I can stop it. "Addi."

"Just Addi?" He cocked his head. "Come on, tell me the whole name, I told ya mine."

"Addison Geraldine Miller."

"Sounds like a princess." He grins a toothy smile. "What's 'a princess like you doin' in parts like this? Ya shoulda been home for curfew, no?"

I shook my head. "No, there's no curfew if there're no parents and no home."

"Ah," he nods as if he understands the world all of a sudden.