Chapter 16

Glenda watched her grandsons toss a football back and forth with their grandpa. It was a passtime she normally loved but today, her thoughts were preoccupied with the cool November winds that blew past her. It reminded her of the harsh reality that humans are just not built for this condition. She saw all the struggles a human in the wild had to face when she worked as a vet. Humans getting frostbitten and dying of hypothermia, starvation, dehydration, animal attacks, broken bones from falling. In a world like this, they just can't live without the assistance of giants. Yet, Stella wanted to live far away from giants. Glenda understood why, but she knew it was a bad idea for her. Being alone in a world where she would do nothing but hide and scavenge would not help her heal. And after Stella's episode after the mere mentioning of being squeezed, Glenda could confirm that she had to have been abused by someone. Now, her biggest concern was if Stella's abuser was still out there. Stella getting captured again would be worse than whatever the environment could throw at her. She glanced down at the human who sat next to her on the bench. Normally, Glenda wouldn't try to dig into Stella's past but curiosity urged to the older woman to talk to her.

“Stella, where did you live before you met Jason?”

Stella tensed up and gave Glenda a hesitant look. “I… I lived in the streets.”

“For how long?”

“My whole life.”

“Was there someone who took care of you?” She asked.

Stella's face darkened. “Yeah, my parents.”

The mood shifted into a melancholy tone, Glenda figured it would be best if she didn't press on about her parents.

“Did anything bad ever happened to you out there?” Glenda asked.

“Why do you need to know?” Stella snapped.

Glenda's face began to burn out of nervousness. The last thing she wanted to do was to upset Stella.

“I… I just…” She paused for a moment as she tried to choose her words carefully. “Felt like... I should get to know you… before you decide to leave in the Spring.”

“Well, I'd appreciate it, if you’d stay away from my past.” Stella responded rather coldly.

“Alright…. But can I ask you one thing?”

Stella shot Glenda a skeptical look, but nodded.

“Where will you go when you leave in the Spring?”

Stella paused for a moment to think about her answer. “I'm just going to move around like I did before.”

Glenda gave the human a sympathetic look. “Stella… I don't… really think you should… do that.”

“Then what do you think I should do?” Stella asked annoyed.

“I think you shouldn't be alone.”

Stella dropped her guard for a moment and gave Glenda a sad look before looking away. “I...I can't stay with you guys.” She said softly.

“There has to be another option.” Glenda replied.

“Get me to Europe then.” Stella scoffed.

Europe. A place where humans are treated like actual people and not as pets. That would be the best place for Stella, but that would take time and money, something Glenda didn't have. However, Glenda did know someone who would be willing to help. The only problem is that Clair would kill her if she talked to him.

“I…. I'm not sure if I can help.” Glenda sighed.

“Then leaving would be the best for me.” She replied.

“You'll get hurt out there!” Glenda exclaimed.

“Look, just drop it!” Stella snapped.

Glenda was taken back. A girl who is terrified of giants found the courage to just snap at one. It would almost impress Glenda if she was not fighting to go back out in the streets. Not wanting to upset Stella, Glenda backed down. “Okay, I'm sorry.”

Stella sighed in relief. “Thank you.”

“Hey Stella!” The boys shouted came running towards the bench with Richard strolling behind.

James knelt down to her level. “Sorry, I scared you by talking about Betty Johnson.”

“And I'm sorry I was planning on taking you to school tomorrow.” Charlie said.

“It's fine.” Stella said. “Just never bring that up again.”

“Hey, you wanna hang out in the sandbox with us?” Charlie asked.

“The sandbox?”

“Yeah, we wanted to play with you, but figured you wouldn't want to go down a slide or on the swing.” James explained. “The sandbox is probably the safest place for you.”

Stella smiled. “That's actually really thoughtful.”

“So do you wanna go there?” Asked Charlie.

Stella glanced back at Glenda. There was still an uncomfortable tension between them. “Sure, I'll go.”

“Alright!” The boys cheered. James held his hand out for stella to climb onto, which she did so hesitantly. Then the boys headed towards the sandbox.

Richard sat down next to his wife. “Did something happen?”

“She really wants to leave.” Glenda confessed. “And I just don't think she should.”

“You could always just claim her.” Richard suggested.

“I can't just force her to live with us.” Glenda scoffed. “That would only make her situation worse.”

“Then what would make her situation better?”

“What she needs is a safe place with people she can trust.” Glenda explained.

Richard put his large arm around Glenda. “Well, if you don't want to force her and she doesn't want to stay, then maybe we have no choice but to let her go.”

She sighed. “I'm afraid you might be right.” She laid her head on his shoulder. The only thing she could do is try to show Stella that she could trust everyone here, and hope that will convince her to stay.