Prequel, the importance of history on characters

by dreamstate-

One of the most frustrating types of fanfiction to read is the beautifully written, well-plotted but entirely unrealistic fanfiction that completely ignores is the importance of history. This is particularly apparent in prequels, that are often set in eras before the present time.

Obviously, some fandoms such as Star Wars are exempt, as they do not involve our world, but it is important to acknowledge the historical lore of the world. A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings are particularly important series that require acknowledging the historical lore, however, this article is particularly following series such as Harry Potter, TVD, Historical AUs etc. where our real world is involved.

I have received many complaints from authors when I point out historical inaccuracies, including 'it's my world I choose what happens', that annoy other readers and myself to no end. First of all, unless you are setting your book in a dystopian setting or completely different universe not involving the history of planet earth, 'your book' will only make you look stupid if you do not acknowledge historical difference in clothing, names, type of speech, social classes, technology, morality (gender inequality and LGBT) and major historical events.

Even J.K Rowling, at times, has annoyed me with the lack of historical context in the Harry Potter series. If you are not quite sure what I mean, when I refer to 'historical context', here are a few examples of mistakes that you can generalise across most fandoms:

People in 1940 did not wear crop tops and short shorts listening to One Direction. This was still a time of enforced sexism.
Homosexuality was illegal and frowned upon until the 1960s (these plots make great stories but ignoring historical context, rather than using it as a tool to shape the plot, is insulting to the realities that LGBT had to face).
'Skyler', 'Kylie' and 'Lola' are not historically accurate names to use in a 1920s setting.
Sex before marriage was deeply frowned upon up until the 70s, and although it did happen and can be part of a story - if a woman is unmarried and pregnant, there has to be an acknowledgement on how this is considered scandalous. You had to be married if you got knocked up, or sent away to have your baby in secret and give it up for adoption. Obviously, this is horrible, but you have to acknowledge the historical reality.
Technology and transport were vastly different only decades before this present era, for example, cars were very expensive and rare only one hundred years ago.

These are just a few of many mistakes made, even in some of the best fanfictions. However, this article is targeting specifically to the importance of history on characters. Whether it is an original character or not, history will impact the psychology of your character, and may indeed impact many choices your character must make.

If you have not read this series, you will still understand what I'm saying. My example to explain is the Harry Potter character 'Tom Riddle', who becomes Lord Voldemort (the villain), as by using such a well-known character I hope most people can understand what I am trying to convey. I mentioned before that even J.K Rowling made this mistake, and here is what I mean.

In the series, there are often comparisons made between Harry and Tom's childhoods, even direct quotes from the books. It refers to Harry and Tom both being orphans, half-bloods and talented wizards. People often say it shows how Voldemort was 'pure evil' and how 'their choices' is what differentiated them, as their circumstances were 'much the same'.

This is where the lack of acknowledgement for the historical context angers me.

Harry Potter grew up with his Aunt and Uncle during the 1980s, and although it was not a pleasant childhood, he later knew his parents loved each other and wanted to be with him. The crucial first two years of his life, although he can not remember, were filled with love and happiness. As a psychology student, I must express that the first three years of a human's life are the most significant years, and are fundamental to the development of the person you are today. There was an important development of trust that Harry developed in his early years with his parents, and although his Aunt and Uncle were horrible, part of Petunia did love him. He never starved and although wore hand-me-downs, he didn't go cold. He grew up in a peaceful modern world and never feared for his life. I don't mean to 'talk down' his childhood, but people make it sound overly harsh and notably in the book Harry says 'he does not feel sorry for Voldemort's upbringing', comparing it to his own. Here is where almost everyone gets it wrong.