Chapter Twenty-Four: Hey Natalie

Natalie

In the end, it only matters what decisions you took, which roads you chose, which ways you went about things, what you did and what you said; But even still, your biggest regrets will be the decisions you didn't take, which roads you didn't choose, the ways you didn't go about things, what you didn't do and what you didn't say.

That was the end of the book, To Be Complete by Peter Croxley, that I'd finished reading last night and I was thinking about it all day. It was the moment when I was sure about what to do. Like Peter wrote, the biggest regrets are the things you didn't do. I didn't want to live the rest of my life dwelling on what I could have done but didn't.

No regrets. That was my new motto.

I dug in my purse for my phone and dialled aunt Jackie's number.

"Hey, sweetie, what's going on?"

"Nothing, Jacks, I just need to talk to you. I'll drop by yours after work, yeah?"

"Oh, okay. Is something wrong Natalie?"

"No...I'll tell you later." I hung up.

The book was like the little push I needed. I already knew what I had to do, the book just made me sure. My defences were now gone and I was scared of whatever would come next but I figured it wouldn't kill me.

I got back to work and tried to think where exactly I was taking this. I didn't know, but for the first time in a very long time, I didn't want a plan. Whatever happens, happens! No regrets.

I was about to knock off so I decided to start packing up my stuff and neatening my cubicle.

My purse in hand, I walked out the large room and into the elevator. I stepped out when the doors finally opened.

I walked past Rudaine at the reception table and briefly waved at him. His smile was twice as wide as it usually was and his fluffy curls gave the impression that he had recently gone to the barber. As he waved back, looking too chipper, I made a mental note to find out why tomorrow.

"Nattie-girl, what's up?" He smiled.

"Not much, just a little tired from being Jackie's personal assistant. She's been extra hectic these days." I grimaced thinking about all the errands I had to run.

"Oh, the vow renewal ceremony," he gave a knowing nod, "When is it exactly?"

"This Saturday." I leaned on the desk. "You're more than welcome to come if you want."

"I'd love to, Nat, but I'm busy this weekend." His voice had a glint of excitement to it and I knew whatever he was doing had to be...exciting.

"Well, okay, but be sure to be back on Monday." I winked at him before strolling to the exit.

"Natalie!" He called, making me turn around. "I heard about what happened. You good?"

I raked a hand through my hair before nodding. "Don't worry. The doctor said I ran too fast, too suddenly for a little too long for my lungs and heart to take. Happens to everyone." I shrugged.

He nodded. "As long as you're alright."

I gave him a warm smile. "Thanks Rudy."
_

_

_

I had two missions. Well, destinations. But nevertheless, missions.

One. Talk to aunt Jackie.

Two. Talk to Ben.

Mission one was a go, I was already pulling up the driveway of Jackie's house. I knocked on the door, knowing it was locked since Collin wasn't home. It took a good three knocks before the woman finally opened the door.