Part 95

26th July 1986
Roger's POV
"Rog... wake up, we've got visitors" Brian said and gently shook me until I could open my eyes and I saw John and Freddie standing at the bottom of our bed. I screamed and covered myself with a blanket since I only slept in boxers and looked at Brian, "why did you bring them into the fucking bedroom?" I whispered and he looked at them then back at me, "they wanted to see you"

I looked at the two and John put the presents in his hands at the foot of the bed, "that's from the kids... they're in the living room" he said quietly and I sat up and took the present, "I'll, um, come out and open that. Gimme a second" I said and both Freddie and John left the room. "How long were they standing there for?" I asked and Brian hummed as he got his dressing gown and wrapped it around me, "a good ten minutes probably"

"Ten-! Oh you-urgh! I'd best go out and open this" I said and he tied the belt around my waist then held my shoulders to stop me from going anywhere. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed my head, "happy birthday, my love" he cooed and I felt the anger in me just slip away as I looked into his eyes, "I love you" I muttered and he smiled then kissed my lips before I went out to the living room.

— two hours later —

"Have fun Papa" Jimmy shouted and I smiled as I went out to the go-karts, "Roger! We're so glad you turned up! Pick your lucky number" the man said and led me over to a line of go-karts so I picked the middle one, "number 212... good choice" he smiled and let the other people from the crowd take the other go-karts.

"If you put that on the right then that lovely leather jacket can't get damaged" he said and gave me an elbow pad which I put on then he got me sat down and showed me the pedals. I tried it and he smiled as a man with a camera came closer to me and I looked at him then lifted my shades to see if he was actually filming and smiled, "alright?"

"Yeah, uh, can you just say hi?" He asked and I watched as the others were turned around then looked back at the man with the camera, "uh, hi... it's me!" I smiled and waved at the camera before the man came back in front of me and lifted the front of the go-kart then turned me around so I was facing the right way.

They got everyone ready then let us go around for a practice lap and I couldn't help but laugh as I passed Brian and the kids, "best birthday present ever!" I shouted and whooped before I came to a gentle stop at the starting line. We were all lined up again then the flag was dropped and all of us went full-speed around the track and obviously I was the fastest.

I had a bit of time to look at the crowds who'd gathered for the races and smiled when I saw people waving at me from the stands. The race itself was pretty easy, I stayed in first the entire way around but on the third lap I managed to drive straight off the track and onto the grass. "Roger, over here" someone shouted and I looked into the middle to see Brian waving at me, "leave it and come on over"

Both of us checked that nobody was going to knock me over then I ran across and he received me with an arm around my shoulders. He walked me over to one of the officials and they radioed to say where I was then took both of us back to the start line so I could officially cross it, "I'm gonna do a run-up" I said and went backwards as they got the tape across the line then I started running at it.

I heard Brian screaming with laughter as I ran at the tape then I broke through it and laughed as I came to a stop then put the tape over me like a scarf, "what do you think? Will it suit me?" I asked and Brian nodded with a laugh. A few people came up to me and asked me to sign things for them which I gladly did before I started to get a bit jittery and went for a smoke.

Brian found me after a few minutes and looked at me with raised eyebrows, "can I ask a favour of you?" He asked and I nodded as I took a draw then blew it out away from him, "sure... what is it?" I asked and he took the cigarette from me. "See this? This is not a good thing to need. I would like you to promise me one little thing and, before I say this, I will support you all you need and I promise I'll treat you once it's all over" he said and I frowned.